Indiana Medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowballz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone attending Indiana? Are students competitive? Personally, do you like it? It is my top choice school and am interested in knowing what the atmosphere among everyone is like.

Alicia

Members don't see this ad.

snowballz,

I'm a first-year at the Fort Wayne center, and I'm fairly happy here. Although I can't speak for the other centers, we have a pretty good atmosphere in our class. We all get along (for the most part), and none of us are out to get each other. There are only 16 of us in the first-year class and 13 second-years, so it's a pretty tight group. We've had several post-test parties throughout the year that help relieve some of the stress. All of our professors know us by name, and we get a lot of personal attention. Most of the professors even give out their home phone numbers in case we have questions about material outside of class.

Overall, I think most of the regional centers have this type of atmosphere. I'm not sure how it is down in Indy since there are so many more people down there. The people in Indy do get a few more perks (lots of lecture/lunches, scribe service, etc.), but they definitely don't get the same attention from the faculty that we do. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I found out that I had been assigned to the Fort Wayne campus for the first two years. I had ranked the Indy campus as my top choice, and like most people, I just assumed I would be assigned to my top choice. However, as I said earlier, I'm pretty happy in Fort Wayne, and I don't think I would change it if I could.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions about IU.

Yes, this did help. Thank you. Also, do you how they assign each individual to a campus? I am in Indy right now, actually live across the street from campus. Would this have any bearing on where I would be assigned? Where did you do your undergrad work?

Alicia

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, sometime around March you'll receive a form in the mail asking you to rank your preferences for campus assignment. You rank all nine campuses. About a month or two later, you'll receive your campus assignment. I've heard that the Director of Admissions is the one and only person responsible for making campus assignments, although that could just be rumor.

If you are originally from Indy, you probably have a good chance of being assigned there. However, if you are from another part of the state, there's a good chance that you'll be assigned to the regional campus nearest your hometown. For example, all but two people in my class are originally from Fort Wayne or the outlying area. One of the guys in my class is from Indy and requested the Indy campus, but sent his form in late. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

It seems like the admissions office is pretty inflexible when it comes to students switching campus assignments. Another one of the guys in my class had requested the Indy campus so he could live with his fiance down there. He even direcly appealed to the director of admissions, but they wouldn't let him switch. I don't really know if it matters that much in the end. We all receive the same education, and it seems everyone grows to like their campus.

I'm originally from the Marion area, but I chose to go out of state for college. I graduated from Arizona State this past May. Have you been accepted yet? IU is a great school with a very good reputation (especially for a public school). It's a great bargain if you're an in-state student. Good luck and enjoy your last few months of freedom before med school starts.

I'm originally from Terre Haute. So sadly, I may end up at the Indiana State U. campus. I don't want that at all, unfortunately. Although from what I saw, there's only about 10 or 12 students there. I spent two semesters there..and wasn't happy. I am afraid that would happen, however, I really would like to stay close to home for my education. I'm thinking I may consider Northwestern or some other midwestern school.

My brother actually lives in Phoenix and his girlfriend is a finance major at ASU...small world. The ASU area is beautiful.

Alicia

If you really don't want to end up at the Terre Haute campus, you might try ranking it very low on your list. Although Fort Wayne wasn't the first choice of many of the people in my class, it was at least the second or third choice for those people. I think my bottom three were: Terre Haute, Evansville, and Gary. Even if they put you in Terre Haute, you won't have much time to be unhappy. There's very little to do up here in Fort Wayne, but we really don't have time to do much, anyway. The IPFW campus is pretty small (I think only around 10,000 students), so there's not much of a college scene. Fortunately, we're only here for the first two years. As I'm sure you know, all 3rd and 4th years are based in Indy.

I loved living in Phoenix, but it's starting to get a little too crowed out there. I wouldn't mind ending up out there someday, though. Just have to survive the next 3.5 years.

Hello SnowBallz,

I am also a first year med student at Indiana, like HoosierDaddy, but I attend the Indy Campus. My classmates are very friendly and are not competitive. Some of them even go out of their way to help a fellow classmate out. I agree with HoosierDaddy that you get less attention at the Indy campus since there are 170 or so of us but the professors here are very helpful and you can always see them after class or email them if you have any questions. Also, there is a good night life in Indy. There are many clubs in downtown and they have a strip of bars and clubs in Broad Ripple.

Also, the campus assignments are given on a first come first serve basis AND actual need to be at a certain campus. For example, I am doing research for a prof at the Indy campus, therefore, I HAD to be in the Indy campus to finish my research. So, you will be required to rank your campus preferences AND you will have to write a little about WHY you should be assigned to that campus. So, if you can write a convincing "essay" I believe you can get your top choice!

Even if you are not assigned to the Indy campus, you will only be at one of the "satellite" campuses for 2 years, as was stated by HoosierDaddy. The clinical years (3rd and 4th years) have to be done in Indianapolis. So, If you are not completely happy at a certain center just know that you will only be there for TWO years and NOT four. So don't fret...

IU is a very good school with a good reputation AND you will be paying MUCH less money if you are an Indiana resident. So, since you are an Indiana resident I would strongly suggest that you consider attending IU. Furthermore, Indiana gives preference to state residents for admission (i.e., you have a better chance of being admitted to Indiana if you reside here than to a private institution or another public med school). Just my two cents.

V

V,

I actually live on the Canal....I know Indy!! ;) My brother used to frequent the Vogue, but I've never been there. There are also some nice clubs in Circle Centre.. ;) I enjoy living here. Who are you doing research with?

I am an Indiana resident, but not saving that much as living expenses aren't exactly cheap. IU is certainly my first choice as of right now. Mostly because it's great school with a good rep and I'm close to home. Also, as you stated, they're preferential to Indiana residents...and to IU undergrads, I'd suppose.

Thanks for your help.

Alicia

Hey guys,

I too just got in to IU this past december!! As soon as I got in, I cancelled all my other interviews. I'm really super-excited to go there!Insofar as campuses are concerned, I was wondering if any of you could list the campuses in order from best to worst ....and if you had to do it again where would you go...

I really don't have any strong affiliations to any particular place in Indiana but am just looking for a place where one can focus on school and enjoy life at the same time. I've lived in Bloomington for the last 4 years so I'm thinking a change would be nice...but again not sure...

any advice would be greatly appreciated...

many thanks

Tiger,

I can only tell you about the Terre Haute and Indy campus. Terre Haute is a VERY boring city. Nothing to do. I was raised there, but I'm not anxious to go back. I'd say, without knowing the other campuses, that it would probably be the last place I'd want to end up. The actual medical school classes are held in a hallway in Holmstedt hall. The facilities, if they are anything like ISU's other facilities, leave alot to be desired. Holmstedt is an older building central to campus.

Indianapolis. I live downtown. There are numerous places to hang out. Nice clubs and bars. Decent shopping. I'd consider downtown to be pretty safe. IUPUI campus is decent and very near downtown.

As far as living in Indy goes, check out the apartments on the canal. I live in Canal Square.. I pay $820 for a 1 bedroom. (Base rent is $790, but I have a fireplace and a cat.) They're nice and very safe, if you're concerned about that. As a woman living alone, I was.

Alicia

thanks for that info. snowballz...I guess I'll make sure to mark Terra Haute last one on my list now! If anyone else has any additional wisdom, please feel free to share....

thanks again snowballz :D

Tiger,

Congrats on your acceptance. In the coming weeks, you should be receiving informational packets from each of the centers telling you about their programs. I think most of the centers have slightly different schedules, but the curriculum is the same. Having experienced any of the other regional centers, I can't really rank them. However, here's a quick run-down of what I've heard about each center:

Indy - About half the class will be there. There's a lot of bars, clubs, shopping, sports, etc., and lots of opportunities to do research with faculty members. Since the med school is based in Indy, you have all of the resources and important personnel nearby.

Fort Wayne - Very small class size (16), and I've heard that Fort Wayne students have a slightly higher average on the Step 1 exam than any of the other campuses (not sure if this is true or not). Fort Wayne doesn't have very much of a college scene. There are a few bars, very few clubs, and a decent mall. Classes are held at IPFW, which is a pretty small college (about 10.000 students total).

Bloomington - don't know very much about the center, other than it's on IU's main campus. I think there are about 24 people in each class, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure med students get all of the same privileges as regular IU undergrads (e.g., student basketball tickets).

West Lafayette - I've heard that they have the lowest average on the Step 1's of all of the regional campuses (although they still average above the national average). Classes are on the Purdue campus.

Gary - This center has IU's only PBL-based system (PBL = problem based learning). It's very close to Chicago, so you're only about an hour away from just about anything you can imagine. However, it is in Gary, which might not be the best place in the world to live.

Terre Haute - snowballz already commented on the Terre Haute campus.

Evansville - Don't know much about it other than classes are held on the campus of USI. I've never been to Evansville, so I have no idea what it's like.

South Bend - Classes are at Notre Dame, and med students get all of the benefits of regular undergrads (chance to buy student football tickets!). Fairly close to Chicago.

Muncie - On the campus of Ball State. Munice has one of the largest hospitals in central Indiana (Ball Memorial), but otherwise, I don't know too much about the campus. I think they use a quarter system rather than a semester system.

Sorry I can't be more specific on some of the campuses. Like I said, the informational packets you'll be receiving will have a lot more information on each campus. Nearly everyone will list Indy as their top choice, so if you really want to go there, make sure you get your form in early. Also, make sure you put some real thought into which campuses you list as your second, third, and fourth preferences. You might not get your top choice, and you don't want to be miserable at your second or third choice. In general, I think most students are pretty happy no matter where they go. Good luck, and enjoy the next few months before med school starts.

thanks for taking the time to give all that info.
Hoosierdaddy...It was helpful and much appreciated
. :) :)

Hey there again everyone,
its me again...I have one last but very important question to ask of anyone who is in IU MED right now...I was wondering how you guys financed school and what steps one should take right now (as a last year undergrad?) I am going to do the FAFSA form within the next few weeks and was wondering what else I should do if anything. I was also wondering if the aid awarded is only in the forms of loans or if there are any scholarships etc. involved (and if filling out FAFSA would be sufficient to make you eligible for these or if you need to apply for them from other sources)? Lastly, I was also wondering the criteria for the normal awards (non-loan) and the total loan amount you guys usually take each year (with or without awards)? I really wondering if I should pursue the navy or army route to finance the trip but at the same time I'm afraid to commit myself completely to something like that..

I know these are a lot of questions and if you don't have the time to answer them all...don't worry about it...but if any of you have the time please feel free to answer any one part or more at a time....your input will be really usefuly and much appreciated

thanks again for for all the help :clap: :clap:

tiger,

You should be receiving a packet of info from the financial aid office within the next few weeks. Essentially, you have to fill out three major forms to be considered for financial aid at IUSM:

1. FAFSA
2. IUPUI Graduate Student Stafford Loan Application
3. IUSM Scholarship Application Form

The financial aid office will send you forms #2 and 3 in their packet. When you are filling out the FAFSA, make sure you have your form sent to IUPUI, since all med students regardless of regional campus are considered to be students at IUPUI. Also, if you want to be considered for a scholarship, you must list your parents financial info on the FAFSA, even though you are technically considered independent of them as a grad student.

There are quite a few scholarships out there, and the financial aid office at IUSM is very good about finding them for you. All you have to do is send in the general scholarship application, and they'll take care of the rest. There are a lot of scholarships that are awarded to people who are originally from certain counties in Indiana, so they'll ask you where you graduated high school and what you consider your "hometown" to be. Other than scholarships, most med students pay for school and living expenses with Stafford educational loans from the government.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but last year I requested about $14,000 for each semester in Stafford loans. Fortunately, I was awarded a very nice-sized scholarship, and I didn't have to take out that much. If it weren't for the scholarship, though, I would have needed all of it. Again, the financial aid office will be sending you a packet in the mail within the next few weeks that will have a lot of very detailed info. Until then, I would just worry about getting your taxes done and getting the FAFSA in before the priority deadline of March 1 (although IUSM doesn't really consider it as a hard deadline).

I have been accepted to IU as an out-of-stater, so I have no hometown that I could be assigned to. I did, however, go to school in one of the cities where there is a campus. Would I be more likely to be assigned here or (assuming I turn my preference list in early) would I stil have a good chance of being assigned to the Indianapolis campus?

Mr. Turtle,

First of all, congrats on your acceptance to IUSM...You will enjoy your time here...I think that you will get your first preference regarding the campus you wish to attend PROVIDED that you get the form in early AND cite legitimate reasons (i.e, family, research, interest etc.) WHY you should be assigned to this campus.

V