indiana optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so im trying to complete their graduate eApp but its asking me for my LOR writers info and my personal statement? i dont want to have to bother my LOR writers again. what is this?

Members don't see this ad.

so im trying to complete their graduate eApp but its asking me for my LOR writers info and my personal statement? i dont want to have to bother my LOR writers again. what is this?

I know, it is so annoying. Why do they want us to resubmit everything again., that is what optomcas is for. I believe this is the only school that does this, I was so irritated that I picked a different school.

I know, it is so annoying. Why do they want us to resubmit everything again., that is what optomcas is for. I believe this is the only school that does this, I was so irritated that I picked a different school.

i know? why do our LOR writers have to go thru the trouble of writing everything over? and plus on the guideliens they say you dont need to submit an essay on the app! i dont even wanna apply o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying to IU. You need to submit the contact information for the LORs, but tell them to ignore whatever emails IU Grad app sends them because IU just needs to see who they are. If you look on their website, it clearly states this:

"You must apply through OptomCAS AND Indiana University's Graduate eApp* System
On Indiana University’s eApp application, you are required to fill out the following portions:

• Personal Information (all sections)
• Additional Information (all sections)
• Application Information (all sections except "Most Recent Employement" and "Publications")
• Department Information (only the Recommendation section - You do not need to include a personal statement or resume on this application)

PLEASE NOTE: For letters of recommendation, the eApp system requires that you enter the contact information for two recommenders. Please do so, but make sure to notify your recommenders that they do NOT need to submit letters directly to Indiana University and they can ignore the notification emails. We must receive all your letters of recommendation through OptomCAS.

You must also fill out the Optometry Departmental Questions, which includes a pre-requisite worksheet and a short essay section. There is a link at the end of the eApp or you can find it at: https://www.indiana.edu/~grdforms/deptforms/optb.html."

found this at:http://www.opt.indiana.edu/ApplyOD.aspx

GOD!!!!!
i already submitted my application and will probably have to do the same thing.

have any of you heard anything from IU after you submitted your supplemental?

I see the admissions people almost every day because I work at the optometry school and they said that they go through the stuff mid to late august (like now) and should be getting to us soon. I'm not quite sure what "soon" means, but if I find anything else out, I will be sure to post it!

I haven taken my OAT yet but its schedule for Nov 2011, For the "Tests Taken" part of the supp part of the app do I have to pick each 'component' from the drop down on a separate line and put the future date? thats like 8 lines with no scores!

did anyone get the email from indiana today about the visit thing?

how many LOR's did you guys submit to IU? I got the impression from the website that they needed 2, but I received an e-mail saying that they needed 3?

i thought the same thing! their supplemental app makes it seem like you need only 2. i found their website not very user friendly so i actually called them and they said you do need 3. i had 4 letters in my optomcas, so they must be happy with that, because i havent heard anything different.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did. did you already go to your admission/info day visit? mine is coming up so wondering what the day entails?
The very first admissions/info day is on the 30th of September. I think she meant the open house email because I got the same thing that day

The very first admissions/info day is on the 30th of September. I think she meant the open house email because I got the same thing that day

Ah, makes sense. It is the first day? That is when I am going... I'll see how that goes and let you all know!

erg, im not going until november 18th! that was the first of the 4 that i could go to. good luck to you guys! if you wouldnt mind letting me know how it is, i would greatly appreciate it :)

I really don't think there is anything to worry about. It seems like it is really informal. They really just want to get to know us in a group setting. I know 4 faculty members who are participating and most of the students that are helping and they all say that it won't be stressful or anything at all. I was actually kind of relieved they did away with the formal interview, not because I was afraid of bad stats, but because it takes some pressure off the whole situation. Also, if you aren't from Indiana and don't know what the weather is like, bring an umbrella!

Last edited:
I really think there is anything to worry about. It seems like it is really informal. They really just want to get to know us in a group setting. I know 4 faculty members who are participating and most of the students that are helping and they all say that it won't be stressful or anything at all. I was actually kind of relieved they did away with the formal interview, not because I was afraid of bad stats, but because it takes some pressure off the whole situation. Also, if you aren't from Indiana and don't know what the weather is like, bring an umbrella!

Wow, that's awesome! So if there is no one-on-one interview, how does the admissions committee decide whether or not to accept the applicant?

I really think there is anything to worry about. It seems like it is really informal. They really just want to get to know us in a group setting. I know 4 faculty members who are participating and most of the students that are helping and they all say that it won't be stressful or anything at all. I was actually kind of relieved they did away with the formal interview, not because I was afraid of bad stats, but because it takes some pressure off the whole situation. Also, if you aren't from Indiana and don't know what the weather is like, bring an umbrella!

Will bring an umbrella and thanks this sounds very laid back and informal. Of course will dress in formal attire but still...like you said makes the whole thing more of a get to know who you are versus your stats, i like!

erg, im not going until november 18th! that was the first of the 4 that i could go to. good luck to you guys! if you wouldnt mind letting me know how it is, i would greatly appreciate it :)

I think you will be fine whether it is then or now. Most schools are accepting qualified applicants until spring. You are still ahead of the game!

Wow, that's awesome! So if there is no one-on-one interview, how does the admissions committee decide whether or not to accept the applicant?

There are faculty members and students that are helping with admissions and their impressions after spending the day with you are how they decide. At least that's how it seems. I am bringing my parents as guests btw only because they haven't been to the opt school and it's only an hour drive (and free lunch for them)!

anyone hear back yet from indiana who attended the sept 29 admission/info day? Looks like we have a few more days but wanted to see if anyone has had any communication yet?

anyone hear back yet from indiana who attended the sept 29 admission/info day? Looks like we have a few more days but wanted to see if anyone has had any communication yet?

I heard back last wednesday via email that I had been accepted.

I heard back last wednesday via email that I had been accepted.

Congratulations!!!!! great news:) Lets see, I have not heard back yet. I may call them to see what is the status of my application tomorrow since that will be two weeks.

Congratulations!!!!! great news:) Lets see, I have not heard back yet. I may call them to see what is the status of my application tomorrow since that will be two weeks.

Thanks! It's my first choice school. I think that calling would be a good idea, since they did say within two weeks. Also be on the lookout for a letter, because I haven't even received one yet.

Thanks! It's my first choice school. I think that calling would be a good idea, since they did say within two weeks. Also be on the lookout for a letter, because I haven't even received one yet.

indiana is a great school. i just got an email that my app was put on hold until feb, when the applicant pool has been received. so... going to speak with cindy and see what exactly that means for me...

I have been invited for this date too! I just need to confirm it now.