Indiana Rejection Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afrosheen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants to see how Indiana rejects people here you go (by the way, if you get an email like this, post it so we can all laugh a little):

Representatives of our Admissions Committee reviewed your application for
the incoming Class of 2007 at Indiana University School of Dentistry and
found academic deficiencies you must strengthen before we can invite you
to interview at IUSD.� You may want to consider the following
information:

The average science GPA for applicants interviewed last year at Indiana
University School of Dentistry was 3.50;
The average overall GPA for applicants interviewed last year at IUSD was
3.55;
The Admissions Committee seeks applicants whose DAT scores are
competitive in all categories.� The DAT scores for applicants interviewed
last year at IUSD averaged over 19 in all areas;
The Admissions committee also expects substantial exposure to dentistry
and many of last year�s interviewees worked as dental assistants;
The applicants we interviewed last year all describe strong manual
dexterity skills;
Those interviewed last year demonstrated a strong commitment to community
service, voluntarism, and participation in campus extra curricular
activities.

Thank you for applying to Indiana University School of Dentistry, and we
hope that you are successful in reaching your career goals in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

**** em...they can shove their high GPA and DAT scores up their arse. I don't understand the point of belittling applicants when rejecting...makes no sense.

belittling

Explain? They sent you an email, asking you to strengthen your academic stats and make sure you have exposure to the dental field. Also, if you can show that you do have good manual dexterity re-apply next year if you don't get an acceptance anywhere else. There was nothing in there that sounded even remotely like belittling.

**** em...they can shove their high GPA and DAT scores up their arse

I don't quite understand this statement. Are you throwing a tantrum because you were rejected by a school? I don't know if the average age of applicants has decreased or our generation is a bunch of whiners, but the statements that come out of some of the applicants mouths is not..... professional.

Keep applying to different schools and try not to let the rejections ruin your day. Life is about rejection, and those who can handle it.

Members don't see this ad :)
These things happen... just some schools choose to state the facts in a very blunt manner. But yeah... definitely poor word choice: "academic deficiencies" that is somewhat belittling. Usually I get rejection letters like "due to the volume of highly qualified applicants etc."... not "academic deficiencies". Manual dexterity skills eh?? How can they judge you unless you write the Canadian DAT... it's very possible to BS the manual dexterity cmpt on the AADSAS application... it's not like they're going to make you sculpt something during an interview.

I got that same e-mail last year around this time. It's a swift kick in the rear, but honestly IU is just obsessed with their numbers. I really think that dental schools are forgetting numbers aren't everything.

prez_al, I think they want you to attempt to explain why you believe that you have the manual dexterity needed for such intricate work of the mouth. Perhaps the applicants above did not explain this?

Some good examples, model building, playing instruments, sculpting, etc...

I know that and manual dexterity is VERY important, I just think people can easily BS that section... as what is considered "proficient" can be very subjective (I even said I played video games and POOL?!), which is why it's nice (or terrible) that the Canadian DAT actually has a manual dexterity component, so schools have a good idea on how good you REALLY are, not how well you say you are. Whoops, starting to go off topic...

Well... I'm a firm believer that there is a reason for everything... Maybe Indiana just isn't in the cards for you. Then who needs them, anyhow? :)
Someday, maybe they will regret their decision.

I just posted this for people who want to see how the rejection looks like, or even what Indiana wants. I didn't get rejected, I just got this email forwarded from my friend.

Maybe the original recipient did have some sort of academic deficiency!

afrosheen said:
The average science GPA for applicants interviewed last year at Indiana
University School of Dentistry was 3.50;
The average overall GPA for applicants interviewed last year at IUSD was
3.55;
The Admissions Committee seeks applicants whose DAT scores are
competitive in all categories.� The DAT scores for applicants interviewed
last year at IUSD averaged over 19 in all areas;

Why does IUSD only report the numbers for those who were interviewed? Those numbers are always higher than the numbers for the entering class.

JM7 said:
Why does IUSD only report the numbers for those who were interviewed? Those numbers are always higher than the numbers for the entering class.

not really!

sgdorfl90 said:
**** em...they can shove their high GPA and DAT scores up their arse. I don't understand the point of belittling applicants when rejecting...makes no sense.

Getting rejection letters or any letter is way better than some of the other schools that keep you waiting, I rather know now and know my situation than have to wait till never.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see the big deal with the e-mail. It's not like it's a big secret that D-school gets more difficult to be admitted in as the years go by. Not to offend anyone, but 3.0 and 17 or 18 AA on the DAT is not going to help you get in when there are plenty of students out there with GPAs in the high end of the 4.0 scale and DATs in the 20s.

Dental schools reason, "if you can't cut it in undergrad, how are you going to fare in dental school..."

Ok, that's it for second yr disgruntled rants. :D

sgdorfl90 said:

Ummmm, so that you don't get rejections in the future? Welcome to the real world.

purduephigam said:
I got that same e-mail last year around this time. It's a swift kick in the rear, but honestly IU is just obsessed with their numbers. I really think that dental schools are forgetting numbers aren't everything.

You're right, they aren't. But, when schools receive 2,000+ applications they have to make an initial cut somehow. There simply isn't time to do it any other way.

Email rejections sound pretty tacky to me. The school should set aside 39 cents out of the application fee for a real letter and show some class.

I applied there last year and still haven't been rejected, contacted, thanked for the application, or otherwise. They didn't do much in AADSAS either - through the end of the AADSAS logon in May they never actually told me I was rejected on-line either. Yes, my application was complete but after that I got nothing. Maybe I got in and need to buy a plane ticket, show up at the admissions office, ask for my class schedule, and get directions to financial aid.

Besides letter writing is becoming somewhat outdated. I imagine in a couple of years all correspondence will be done via email. Reason being, its more productive and finally more cost effective then sending mail out. Good luck with the process of applying, its a biatch!

Has anyone been accepted to Indiana with a reading score lower than an 18?

wait a second... if I am not mistaken, last years incoming class on predents has Indiana's average GPA at 3.42, SCI GPA 3.34, and their DAT was only 17.8 with 17.1 on PAT

so......

:idea:

Something is not right. I suspected the same when I saw the numbers in the email and remembered Indiana's average stats. That's what visiting predents.com will do for you. I now have a 'general' running knowledge of each school's averages so when I saw that email that spoke of 3.5's and just over 19's, I knew something was up. It might have been that those numbers listed in the email are what the Indiana department is looking for in newer applicants and not necessarily those of last year's class. That's the only plausible explanation.

well.. they can interview ppl that have high GPA's and high DAT scores, but for the cost of the tution they have going, is it really worth it?? Those ppl can pick and choose where they go, and what they are left with is not so impressive as they say it is - just about average.

I don't think this guy is angry bc he got rejected, i think he (or she) is angry bc the e-mail is bunch of bs...

take your 171k/4years tution and shove it up.. ahem... i mean... ya think they could have sent you a letter... they can afford it for sure :).

Indiana sucks, I know I live here. I am glad I will not be attending IUSD. They are nazi's I submitted early june and did not get an interview, I have dental experience my GPA is within their average and my DATs exceed there average. Just because I did not submit in May I wasn't given and interview. Instead I got a letter saying your not rejected but we'll let you know.

I am temted to do a top ten reasons why the state of Indiana sucks.

Sorry people I am still sore I didn't get an interview.

Indiana sucks, I know I live here. I am glad I will not be attending IUSD. They are nazi's I submitted early june and did not get an interview, I have dental experience my GPA is within their average and my DATs exceed there average. Just because I did not submit in May I wasn't given and interview. Instead I got a letter saying your not rejected but we'll let you know.

I am temted to do a top ten reasons why the state of Indiana sucks.

Sorry people I am still sore I didn't get an interview.

you should do the top ten reasons indiana sucks just to do it...i'd never live in indiana nor did i even apply to IUSD, but i'm curious to hear your top ten:laugh:

wait a second... if I am not mistaken, last years incoming class on predents has Indiana's average GPA at 3.42, SCI GPA 3.34, and their DAT was only 17.8 with 17.1 on PAT

so......

:idea:

You are correct and if you go to their web page, those are the stats they give.

Just because I try to find a reason for everything...

Is the original recipient of the email an Indiana resident? Reason I ask, is some schools have their average GPAs and DAT scores listed differently than what is sent in a rejection letter. I applied to a particular school as an out of state resident because their avg. DAT listed was a 17 and they took around 20% out of state residents. Luckily, before I was asked to send in the application fee, I was sent a letter that stated the cutoffs for getting an interview out of state (if you were not from one of the states they have admissions agreements with). So here's this 17AA/17PAT DAT score listed as average acceptance, and I get this letter that says something along the lines... the minimum DAT required for an interview for state residents and residents from (.........) is a 16. The minimum DAT for an interview for residents from all other states is a 20. I called to ask about this just to see what I would be told, and they actually prefer out of state residents to have at least a 20 on every section to be considered for an interview. So, it's very possible that not being a state resident, the individual who received the email needs a 3.5, 19 on every section, etc. etc. If they are a state resident, then my speculation is wrong. Luckily for me, the woman I corresponded with was so nice and so professional, and so honest, and suggested me not sending the application fee. Some schools just choose to handle it in different ways.

This is the rejection I got from UF, they sent me a letter as well. All I got to say is they let you down nice. Classy.. Unlike.....

It is with regret I must tell you that the Admissions Committee cannot offer you a place in the 2007 DMD entering class. Please understand that we considered your application carefully and that our decision was not an easy one. It is clear that the overwhelming majority of our applicants are outstanding young women and men, people who we know are fully capable of performing well at the professional level. The sheer volume of applicants means we can admit only a small percentage of the students who apply. This task was exceptionally difficult this year due to the unusual strength and size of our applicant pool. You may wonder what was lacking in your application. For most applicants, the honest answer is nothing. Like most students who applied, you have put much effort into doing well in school, made significant contributions in your extracurricular activities and worked hard to balance the many demands on your time. Each applicant was carefully evaluated. We found it extremely challenging to distinguish among the many exceptional students who would flourish here. We thank you for your interest in the College of Dentistry. We wish you all the success we know you are capable of as you pursue your education. Sincerely, Venita J. Sposetti, DMD Assistant Dean, Admissions & Financial Aid

I am telling you that is a nice rejection.

I don't see the big deal with the e-mail. It's not like it's a big secret that D-school gets more difficult to be admitted in as the years go by. Not to offend anyone, but 3.0 and 17 or 18 AA on the DAT is not going to help you get in when there are plenty of students out there with GPAs in the high end of the 4.0 scale and DATs in the 20s.

Dental schools reason, "if you can't cut it in undergrad, how are you going to fare in dental school..."

Ok, that's it for second yr disgruntled rants. :D

I am just getting sick of this "if you can't cut it in undergrad, you can't do dentistry' crap.

Straight from my dentist, he said "It's not difficult work, but it's lots of HARD work. You don't need to be brilliant to do this stuff". There is a big difference between hard work and difficult work.

Do you think the people on these adcoms had 20's on their dats? Probably not. I'll bet many of them got 17's and 18's. And they're pretty good dentists, aren't they?

I vote for NO Top 10 Reasons Indiana Stinks posts to be made on here. I am going to be living there for the next 4 years (and am pretty excited about it!!). Not only that, but my wife reads many of these threads and believes everything you all say. Let's just talk about how great it is that many of us get to go to school anywhere. You could do a lot worse than Indiana!!

I vote for NO Top 10 Reasons Indiana Stinks posts to be made on here. I am going to be living there for the next 4 years (and am pretty excited about it!!). Not only that, but my wife reads many of these threads and believes everything you all say. Let's just talk about how great it is that many of us get to go to school anywhere. You could do a lot worse than Indiana!!

Utah Dad Relize I am just a bitter, Dr. Kasberg said make sure you submit you AADSAS in mid May. Instead I procrastinated on my personal statement and got in mid June. There are plenty of bad things about Indiana but also some great things. Indy cost of living is super cheep and its not a bad town. 10 minute driving distance there are affordable, nice, safe homes, with great schools and good shopping. My wife and I were investigating the real estate market down there.

Oh my God... You people are pretty sensitive. A letter of rejection is a rejection no matter how you word it. If you can't let something like that roll off your back, life is going to be hard for you. Also, I doubt IUSD is going to conjure up some false info for their letters to, I dunno, impress everyone. Predents is a good website, but I think IU has better numbers on their own school than anyone else would and on what they expect.

There are plenty of bad things about Indiana

Like what?

I am just getting sick of this "if you can't cut it in undergrad, you can't do dentistry' crap.

Straight from my dentist, he said "It's not difficult work, but it's lots of HARD work. You don't need to be brilliant to do this stuff". There is a big difference between hard work and difficult work.

Doesn't make much sense.. is undergrad easier than dental school? Well since Dental School will be a walk in the park, we'll talk to you in 4 yrs when you breeze your way into valedictorian of your dental class.

This is the rejection I got from UF, they sent me a letter as well. All I got to say is they let you down nice. Classy.. Unlike.....

It is with regret I must tell you that the Admissions Committee cannot offer you a place in the 2007 DMD entering class. Please understand that we considered your application carefully and that our decision was not an easy one. It is clear that the overwhelming majority of our applicants are outstanding young women and men, people who we know are fully capable of performing well at the professional level. The sheer volume of applicants means we can admit only a small percentage of the students who apply. This task was exceptionally difficult this year due to the unusual strength and size of our applicant pool. You may wonder what was lacking in your application. For most applicants, the honest answer is nothing. Like most students who applied, you have put much effort into doing well in school, made significant contributions in your extracurricular activities and worked hard to balance the many demands on your time. Each applicant was carefully evaluated. We found it extremely challenging to distinguish among the many exceptional students who would flourish here. We thank you for your interest in the College of Dentistry. We wish you all the success we know you are capable of as you pursue your education. Sincerely, Venita J. Sposetti, DMD Assistant Dean, Admissions & Financial Aid

I am telling you that is a nice rejection.

I agree with you. It does matter how schools write their rejection letters- or in this case don't even bother writing a letter, but just an e-mail. Even in that case they could have put little more thought into it. There is a hughe difference between being completely rude like that e-mail and this nice and toughtfull letter. After all the hard work you put in that is the least they can do. And yes, rejection letter is a rejection letter, but no reason to tell you that you pretty much suck so there you have it. Deal with it. :cool:

Like what?

The weather, no topagraphy, its a red state, Micheal Jackson from Indiana, Dan Quail from Indiana, the time zone is all screwy, can't buy beer on sundays. No professional baseball team or hockey, overall the public school system is underfunded. To many amish, memmonites, religious extremism. Indiana is home to more KKK members then any other state. Where I live the air quality is ranked amoung the worst in the country.

I have called Indiana my home for the past six years and can make a even longer list of great things about Indiana. I am just bitter I didn't apply early enough cause it was my safety school and IUSD is a great school, good clinical aproach, and some good research.

The weather, no topagraphy, its a red state, Micheal Jackson from Indiana, Dan Quail from Indiana, the time zone is all screwy, can't buy beer on sundays. No professional baseball team or hockey, overall the public school system is underfunded. To many amish, memmonites, religious extremism. Indiana is home to more KKK members then any other state. Where I live the air quality is ranked amoung the worst in the country.

I have called Indiana my home for the past six years and can make a even longer list of great things about Indiana. I am just bitter I didn't apply early enough cause it was my safety school and IUSD is a great school, good clinical aproach, and some good research.

I would like to add that the quality of the female sex is extremely lacking. Maybe I'm just spoiled here in LA?

DUDE your avatar freaks me out.............

Hey PMANTZ,
I am wondering what you have decided/learned. Your Signature says you will let us know where you were accepted in about a month...it has been about a month now. Do you know where you are going yet??

Hey PMANTZ,
I am wondering what you have decided/learned. Your Signature says you will let us know where you were accepted in about a month...it has been about a month now. Do you know where you are going yet??

If I knew I would change my signature...

I have the right to trash talk the state of Indiana cause I live here, I am not saying anything negative about IUSD except they are strict about getting your app in early.

Hahaha. Pretty funny. Two guys with naked male avatars.

There is nothing wrond with the masculine form, you always here about how beutiful the female form is. How about the middle aged obese male form. Where is the love???