• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Indiana University Vs. Univ of Cincinnati

Ophtho24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am not from the midwest so I know nothing about these two programs. I don't like going on interviews at places that nobody I know has vouched for. I am wondering if any of you guys know much about these programs and can give me any advice on which one I should go to. They are not on the same day but I can only afford financially, and I think mentally, to go on one of these two. Thanks for any input you guys may have.

Upvote 0

shiro1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
I don't know anything about the Indiana program, but I am a fairly recent grad of the UC program. Granted, my info's a few years out of date. I would say that UC has a fairly well rounded program for its size, covering all subspecialties with very competant attendings. If you are ambitious and have a thick skin you'll do well there. However, if you need a nurturing, amiable environment in order to learn, you will not do well there. There are too many attendings who are simply a!!holes. Male residents tend to do better... I'm not sure if its actually sexism or just that they tend to be more agressive. I was also unhappy because I felt like I didn't get enough surgical experience (only 50 cataract cases) but this also is dependant on how "agressive" a resident is. Some would convince 20/30 vision patients to have cataract surgery, others would drive the patient home afterwards, etc. and build up 70-100 cases by the time they were done. I just felt like I shouldn't have to compromise my ideals in order to get proper experience in my residency. Good luck!

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.