Indianapolis vs Pittsburgh - the cities...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would those familiar with these two cities please share some insight as to how they both fare in terms of diversity of people (not only in terms of ethnicity but also dissenting/differing opinions on issues), arts, culture, recreational activities, etc....i.e. though almost not fair to compare, but if one had to, which of these two cities would more closely approximate the more cosmopolitan/multi-cultural metro areas of the country (e.g. New York, Chicago, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

shs said:
Would those familiar with these two cities please share some insight as to how they both fare in terms of diversity of people (not only in terms of ethnicity but also dissenting/differing opinions on issues), arts, culture, recreational activities, etc....i.e. though almost not fair to compare, but if one had to, which of these two cities would more closely approximate the more cosmopolitan/multi-cultural metro areas of the country (e.g. New York, Chicago, etc).

what about philadelphia vs. hartford with the pre-req's listed argument?

I am not nearly as familiar with Pitt...
But I am moving to Indy in the next couple of months when residency is over. So I can only tell you why I'm moving there. 1. Huge for medicine, building hospitals, not closing them. 2. Low malpractice and nice medical tort laws attempt to protect physicians, therefore there is no medical "brain drain" by people escaping a hostile environment. 3. Good cost of living 4. Clean and growing downtown...recent addition to the Art museum, creation of museum of contemporary art, addition of NCAA museum etc. 5. Fantastic shopping 6. affordable real estate market. 7. The Broad RIpple Brew pub on a 70 degree evening on a Friday night...ohhhhh 8. St Elmos steaks 9. Bazbeaux's Pizza....and lastly where I met my wife 10. Midwest Microbrew Festival in Broad Ripple ...
VERY difficult to compare to Chicago as chicago is 5 times its size...you could say Indy is the more suburban, preppy, little brother.

I have lived in both cities. Both are good, but IMO Pitt is much better. To emphasize my lack of bias, let me say I am from the Midwest, then moved out West. I've lived almost everywhere incl overseas, so I don't think I'm being ethnocentric and narrow-minded. But Indy is much less diverse and has much less charm. This time around, I didn't interview in Indianapolis, but interviewed 3 sites in Pitt.
You can PM me if you have specific questions.
Both are very cheap. Pitt is the larger of the med centers...UPMC has nearly biggest transplant . Pitt WAS steel town, but anyone still saying that has been moth-balled since the 70's.
My opinion is that IN folks are a little nicer, but a little slower. Zero topography there...landscape is boring boring boring. Sand dunes, whatever.
Medmal is worse in PA, better in IN. This is historically due to IN having gov who was doc. But medmal doesn't affect you in residency, and much less in practice than everyone concerns themselves with on this site. Med ctrs have your ass covered.
Indy is more suburbia, Pitt more city charm, culture, restaurants much better. If you are from East Coast, you may feel stifled in IN. If you are midwest and never lived anywhere else, Pitt may scare you.
Out of 10, Indy gets a 5, Pitt a 7.5.

Yes you are right, buildings are scary and people frighten me....wah?

I guess my opinions are somewhat biased as I have lived in Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City and Dayton only...So I can't directly make a comparison to NYC or Pitt...sorry. I can only tell you it was the easiest place to live and get around with all the best aspects of a city...but I am biased apparently...and scared...and just inexperienced as I am from a corn field and live in a no window shack...derrr
;)
And PS, you are right, medmal effects only imaginary dwarfs that eat candy for food...not us real doctors or real patients. Don't worry, it doesn't effect residents, procedures, notes, dictation etc...at all. It is pretend.

prominence said:
what about philadelphia vs. hartford with the pre-req's listed argument?

Philadelphia. Hartford ain't much really. I mean it's a pleasant enough place, but there just ain't much there.

bente said:
...If you are from East Coast, you may feel stifled in IN. If you are midwest and never lived anywhere else, Pitt may scare you. ...

LOL-- a perfect summary.
The other piece with Pitt is that the city is a nightmare to get around in. I like hills and tunnels and bridges as a tourist, but if it were part of my daily commute I think I'd need an admission to my own ward!

OldPsychDoc said:
The other piece with Pitt is that the city is a nightmare to get around in. I like hills and tunnels and bridges as a tourist, but if it were part of my daily commute I think I'd need an admission to my own ward!

Thats right...i went for my interview in Pitt and the directions were weird...Mapquest would say something else and things turned out to be pretty different.....the river views are pretty nice though......pitt would certainly be more cosmopolitan but Indy is nice and laid back....so depends what u want...

MINDOFMYOWN said:
Thats right...i went for my interview in Pitt and the directions were weird...Mapquest would say something else and things turned out to be pretty different.....the river views are pretty nice though......pitt would certainly be more cosmopolitan but Indy is nice and laid back....so depends what u want...

shs, if you're comparing cosmopolitan feel, and atmosphere like nyc, you'd have to pick pittsburgh hands down.

pittsburgh is much closer to an east coast city than indianapolis. the people in indy may be nicer. but it's a midwest city.

while pittsburgh can't compare to nyc, it's much closer than indy.

this discussion has so far been very helpful.....thank you everyone.

scrub monkey said:
shs, if you're comparing cosmopolitan feel, and atmosphere like nyc, you'd have to pick pittsburgh hands down.

pittsburgh is much closer to an east coast city than indianapolis. the people in indy may be nicer. but it's a midwest city.

while pittsburgh can't compare to nyc, it's much closer than indy.