Indicating interest in academic medicine as radiology applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncadonc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

I have a decent research background, I enjoyed the research, and when I finish residency, I think I am a better match for the slower pace and educational environment provided at academic institutions (I like to teach)

Will saying this be a good thing or a bad thing as I progress along the application and interview circuit?

I know the research heavy places will eat it up like candy, but I really want to go to a program that isn't very strong in research. It is still a big academic center, but not known for churning out data. (U of Colorado) I don't want them to think I would be happier at a different more research intense school.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear radoncadonc,
Congrats on a research background--All residency programs will respect and value your background. It shows you are intelligent, hardworker, and critical thinker. Bottom line is to show you are interested in that program you are aiming for and with your academic + clinical qualifications, they would likely rank you high. Research is a plus in my mind regardless of academic vs. non-academic. They will rank you higher but perhaps not expect you to go? either way you are still in good shape :)

Quick question:

I have a decent research background, I enjoyed the research, and when I finish residency, I think I am a better match for the slower pace and educational environment provided at academic institutions (I like to teach)

Will saying this be a good thing or a bad thing as I progress along the application and interview circuit?

I know the research heavy places will eat it up like candy, but I really want to go to a program that isn't very strong in research. It is still a big academic center, but not known for churning out data. (U of Colorado) I don't want them to think I would be happier at a different more research intense school.

Thanks for the help.