Individual Muni Bonds

Started by BLADEMDA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BLADEMDA

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone buying Individual Muni Bonds? With interest rates likely to rise this year I'm thinking of buying Individual Bonds. For example, An Electric Company in the south has a A rated Bond yielding 3.7% through 2020. The yield is much better than a CD and the company looks solid.

Opinions?
 
Or anyone like floating-rate preferred shares ahead of eventually rising interest rates?
 
Or anyone like floating-rate preferred shares ahead of eventually rising interest rates?

With inflation averaging 3%, I have a hard time getting excited about bonds. I know munis are tax free, but I would like to see the higher interest rate you talk about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have considered buying individual bonds. Ultimately decided against it. You will need to spend some time learning how the markets work. Very easy to get screwed on the bid/ask spread for individual bonds. If you do it, stick with AA or better. Plan on holding to maturity and not using this money for rebalancing.
http://www.emma.msrb.org