Industry Post-Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beetlegeese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Currently in the midst of completing a PGY1 residency, I'm enjoying it so far but I'd like to explore my options a bit. I was wondering if the possibility of moving into industry exists after completion of a residency? Would I have to complete a fellowship as well or would having a residency under my belt be at least somewhat attractive to industry employers?

Thanks for any insight or input you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know two people in your situation. They both are in the midst of completing their fellowships after PGY-1

No doubt tho that you would qualify for a job in clinical development over a recent graduate

It's possible to enter in as a medical info, medical science liaison, or clinical development job out of the a residency. I have seen folks do this with and without a residency (even straight out of school) but mostly into contractor positions (non full time). It isn't easy and will require effective networking and proper positioning though.