Infant of Diabetic Mother (Pre-gestational) vs Gestational Diabetes Complications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicealicealice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading on this, sources, even U world, are confusing...lots of them put Caudal Regression under "gestational diabetes", which I have been told elsewhere many times is wrong as gestational diabetes as usually defined is way too late to cause caudal regression. Therefore, I don't really know what they mean when they say things are related to "gestational diabetes."
Overall, Im having a difficult time finding the answers to these questions.

Assuming
IDM = infant of diabetic mother = pregestational diabetes
GDM = Gestational DM = no prior Hx of DM before pregnancy

1) What is the most common TYPE of congenital defect in IDM (i.e neuro, cardio, etc)
2) What is the most common congenital defect in IDM (?NTD, VSD, transposition of GV, etc)
3) Can caudal regression occur in GDM?
4) Besides macrosomia, hypoglycemia, and all that jazz, are GDM babies at a high risk for any congenital malformations/structural lesions (HOCM, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading on this, sources, even U world, are confusing...lots of them put Caudal Regression under "gestational diabetes", which I have been told elsewhere many times is wrong as gestational diabetes as usually defined is way too late to cause caudal regression. Therefore, I don't really know what they mean when they say things are related to "gestational diabetes."
Overall, Im having a difficult time finding the answers to these questions.

Assuming
IDM = infant of diabetic mother = pregestational diabetes
GDM = Gestational DM = no prior Hx of DM before pregnancy

1) What is the most common TYPE of congenital defect in IDM (i.e neuro, cardio, etc)
2) What is the most common congenital defect in IDM (?NTD, VSD, transposition of GV, etc)
3) Can caudal regression occur in GDM?
4) Besides macrosomia, hypoglycemia, and all that jazz, are GDM babies at a high risk for any congenital malformations (HOCM, etc)?

Thanks in advance.
Based on everything I know from studying step 1 sources
1--Cardio followed by neuro. If you had to pick, it is cardio. If you had to pick the most common type of congenital defect for ANY syndrome, it will pretty much always be cardio. This is confirmed by up to date.
2--most common or not, I'm not sure, but in terms of testable it is caudal regression syndrome and anencephaly, as well as TGV
3--no
4--so I was under the impression that TGV happened more with gestation diabetes and not IDM. I did a little research and apparently you are right, it is IDM after all. That being the case, I dont think there are any other complications with GDM. I did just look at a case report of HOCM and TGV in gestation diabetes, but that isn't testable. As far as I'm concerned, if a patient has TGV and they ask what was most likely concerning the pregnancy, and GDM and pregestation diabetes are both options, I'll go with pregestional diabetes (thanks for that, I totally would have picked GDM before looking it up right now).

Reactions: 1 user
Based on everything I know from studying step 1 sources
1--Cardio followed by neuro. If you had to pick, it is cardio. If you had to pick the most common type of congenital defect for ANY syndrome, it will pretty much always be cardio. This is confirmed by up to date.
2--most common or not, I'm not sure, but in terms of testable it is caudal regression syndrome and anencephaly, as well as TGV
3--no
4--so I was under the impression that TGV happened more with gestation diabetes and not IDM. I did a little research and apparently you are right, it is IDM after all. That being the case, I dont think there are any other complications with GDM. I did just look at a case report of HOCM and TGV in gestation diabetes, but that isn't testable. As far as I'm concerned, if a patient has TGV and they ask what was most likely concerning the pregnancy, and GDM and pregestation diabetes are both options, I'll go with pregestional diabetes (thanks for that, I totally would have picked GDM before looking it up right now).

Awesome thanks.
For number 2 what I was getting at is that i have heard that overall, as you have stated, the most common defect in terms of organ systems is cardio>neuro.
However, there are multiple possible cardio defects, including TPV, VSD etc. so the single most common individual defect is an NTD.
In terms of caudal regression, Ive heard that it is the most specific (i.e a infants w/caudal regression = IDM) but not very frequent (most IDM do not get caudal regression, much more likely to get cardio, neuro).
But all these things are more rumor than truth lol so i was looking for what other people thought