Step I infant with vomiting and diarrhea - virus?

Started by GomerPyle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GomerPyle

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having a hard time deciding whether vomiting and diarrhea in an infant (or even anybody) is more likely to be rotavirus or norovirus....can anyone help explain? If you have a 1 month old infant with vomiting and diarrhea, which is more likely?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or I believe if they are infected with rota, which usually happens at a young age, they usually obtain immunity from that point on.

If the infant got it and then the mom/babysitter got it, then maybe think about norovirus if they are being sneaky without buzzwords like "cruise ship".
 
Thanks guys! I just remember uworld saying that rotavirus is less common in the US because of vaccines, so I just wanted to clear it up. I guess the age really matters...the infant in the question was 2 months I believe
 
Annotated my FA rotavirus / norovirus stuff with stuff posted on SDN.
.. since reading stuff on SDN is more entertaining than tackling blocks and reviewing them haha. Thanks guys
 
This is my understanding too. If it's JUST the baby, go with Rota. If it's the baby + parent/older sibling/daycare worker, Noro is the better bet (everyone older than kindergarten or so should be immune from prior infection if not from vaccination).