Infection Control Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While pharmacists in the areas of infectious disease need to have some sort of specialized residency, is a general or even specialized residency required for infection control pharmacist positions?

Members don't see this ad.

While pharmacists in the areas of infectious disease need to have some sort of specialized residency, is a general or even specialized residency required for infection control pharmacist positions?

To do a specialized residency in ID (PGY2) you'll first have to do a general one (PGY2)...the trend now is to hire people with residency training, but not always required.

I haven't yet been at a hospital big enough to require a seperate "infection control" pharmacist vs ID. HOwever, I spent most of last week on an infectious disease critical care service and I would say we spent more time saying "no! you can't have that!" than "here, use this big gun". I was really surprised to see how much Ancef the ID doc used.