Infection-induced tachy & lopressor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is the situation:

There is a patient with severe panic disorder and diagnosed OCD by psych. He is a compulsive pulse checker. Arrives at an acute care center off-campus with a HR stable at around 120-130 with fever and signs of dehydration. Given 3000ml NS over a period of 3-4 hours in acute care center along with 1g tylenol & 1mg ativan. Patient was very anxious during his whole stay in acute care ctr and was transferred to the ER on the main campus.

Because of his heart rate concerns (kept asking the doctor I was with as well as the nurse if his HR was in a 'dangerous' zone despite being an otherwise healthy 25y/o normal EKG & recent stress echo), they hit him with 50mg of Lopressor IV although the cardiologist oncall said this was not necessary, he ok'd it given the patients high anxiety at his rapid heart rate. Also administered another milligram of ativan.

His later diagnosis was viral gastroenteritis, probably from bad sour cream he ingested the night earlier.

But anyway, my question is about the Lopressor and this may seem to be a very, very silly question. Now one of the reasons why patients develop tachycardia with many infections is because the microorganism is emitting vasoactive substances, so in order to compensate the heart obviously must increase rate to maintain adequate blood pressure.

The dummy question I have is this: If the patients heart rate is elevated in order to maintain adequate pressure/CO, wouldn't giving him a beta blocker only work to exacerbate the problem? You will have to forgive me as I am only a first year med student. I asked the ID doctor and the cardiologist and they said it shouldn't be an issue.

To me if the heart is compensating by increasing HR, it seems dangerous to lower BP further to get rate control. This question probably is quite ridiculous but thanks anyway for your patience.

Members don't see this ad.

So here is the situation:
they hit him with 50mg of Lopressor IV...
...The dummy question I have is this: If the patients heart rate is elevated in order to maintain adequate pressure/CO, wouldn't giving him a beta blocker only work to exacerbate the problem?

You're absolutely correct, but 50mg of Lopressor isn't going to kill a healthy 25 yo who has gastroenteritis.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're absolutely correct, but 50mg of Lopressor isn't going to kill a healthy 25 yo who has gastroenteritis.

I'm assuming you mean 5 mg IV or 50 mg PO and not 50 mg IV.

I've seen septic patients get metoprolol and subsequently tank their pressure.

Yea I was just curious. His HR went down from 130 to 100-90.

It just seemed to me that this wouldn't be a solution for him in more severe infections?

You are correct that this would be detrimental in a more severe infection. Giving beta-blockers for sinus tachycardia is rare, but it does happen in those rare people who have high baseline heart rates, and even those do not respond fully. However, this is in the person who has been ruled out for other problems.

This particular patient's tachycardia probably wasn't due to the infection so much as it was from a combination of fever, dehydration, and anxiety. And it wasn't particularly dangerous. Sounds like the patient was so panicked at his heart rate though, that he may have forced the issue, and it was done out of a customer satisfaction need.

Yea I was just curious. His HR went down from 130 to 100-90.

It just seemed to me that this wouldn't be a solution for him in more severe infections?

You are right. In more serious infection in a patient who is older or with more co-morbidities this wouldn't be ideal, but remember that they come in all the time septic and on beta-blockers from home. You just keep in mind that they're tachycardia may be masked by the medication. The type of patient that I think you are getting at is your more classic SIRS/Sepsis patient. And there are no ridiculous questions. It's cool that you're getting some clinical exposure as a first year and asking questions. Stay thirsty, my friend.

I just feel bad for the kid.

Refuses to take SSRIs apparently bc he is so scared of the potential side effects.

Was still surprised to see his HR that elevated just due to anxiety until I learned he was dehydrated and had a fever. Now that I think about it my own HR is pretty elevated even when I have a fever. Anyways.

TheMoreYouKnow_480x340.jpg

You are right. In more serious infection in a patient who is older or with more co-morbidities this wouldn't be ideal, but remember that they come in all the time septic and on beta-blockers from home. You just keep in mind that they're tachycardia may be masked by the medication. The type of patient that I think you are getting at is your more classic SIRS/Sepsis patient. And there are no ridiculous questions. It's cool that you're getting some clinical exposure as a first year and asking questions. Stay thirsty, my friend.

Thanks it has been a nice break from the monotony of the horribly boring classroom work. Just trying to find a little application here and there.

You are correct that this would be detrimental in a more severe infection. Giving beta-blockers for sinus tachycardia is rare, but it does happen in those rare people who have high baseline heart rates, and even those do not respond fully. However, this is in the person who has been ruled out for other problems.

is there a better drug option than lopressor for thiss?

I was really more asking for other situations. IE. long-term therapy for people with POTS or IST.

You do realize that this is the EM forum, right? It's not that we are not interested, but, just like the radiologist who dx's the fx, but doesn't take it to the OR, that's not what we do.

okay thank you

I don't know if it's a fake disease or not, though people with it tend to have pathologic personality disorders. What I will say though is that your question if there is a better drug of choice is best left up to cardiologist. Baseline tachycardia is not something that can be established in the ED setting and as we are not expert on this, we should not be the ones dictating treatment.