Infectious Disease? This Thread is For You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zombie Doc

Reaction score
ID is probably the most under the radar speciality in medicine. It took a global pandemic for anyone to know we even existed. I’m writing this thread not because I feel some sort of ego shame that my speciality is considered undesirable or non-competitive. People don’t want to go into ID. That’s fine. I know ID is not paid well relevant to other medical specialities. However, even considering that big factor, it still really baffles me why my speciality is as unpopular as the NRMP match data would have you believe it to be.

I hope my post can help people who maybe are considering pursuing ID as a career however are apprehensive due to the match statistics and the pay. I will list some Pros/Cons of the speciality in general then provide a summary of my current job. But first, a story…

Long ago internal medicine used to be all about finding the right diagnosis. It was diagnostic medicine. Then, for some reason, somewhere in the evolution of our healthcare system, internal medicine became the dumping ground. The land of dispo. Internal medicine became the diet order, laxative, med rec, and discharge summary speciality. “We have the best notes in medicine" we tell ourselves. After all, we need something to feel proud of.

I would argue, however that the true spirit of internal medicine still exists today in 2023. However it simply goes by a different name. If you love everything about internal medicine except everything it’s currently known for, I have the speciality for you. Enter, infectious disease.

PROS

1. Pure medicine. As an ID doc, I get the satisfaction of being both a diagnostician and of helping people fix their problem. When I’m consulted, I always try to figure out the diagnosis even if I don’t think it’s an infection. This is because many non-infectious diseases can resemble infections. But also, because it’s fun. I’ve helped diagnosis HLH, sarcoidosis, cancer, you name it. I’m able to really delve into the diagnostic aspect of medicine because there’s no one distracting me for IDT, dispo planning, med rec, signing forms, etc. You get to really focus your cognitive effort on creating a thorough differential and creating a work-up that will get the patient a diagnosis i.e. the job medicine is supposed to do.

2. Effective Treatments. This really is one of the understated advantages about ID. Because of the effectiveness of antibiotics, if you can figure out what infection someone has, you can almost certainly cure it. Most of our patients get better and we never have to see them again. Even HIV patients can be effectively controlled these days because of how potent ART has become. There’s no lifestyle management, begging people to stop eating 3 Big Macs for breakfast, etc. Diagnosis the infection. Determine the right mix of antibiotics. Cure the infection. Return to clinic as needed.

3. Pure consultant. IM is the primary. Trauma surgery is the primary. ID is never the primary. I look through the chart, go see the patient, write my consult note with recs, then leave. There’s no one calling me for placement, patient angry because you DCed the Dilaudid, family members demanding a certain SNF, nurses paging you so that they can document they paged you, etc. There’s no rapid response, no codes, nothing. I write my notes, make some phone calls, coordinate care, and go home.

4. Lifestyle. See my job section below

CONS

I don’t want this post to come across as biased, so I will include a few cons to ID. No speciality is perfect of course…

1. Of course the first con is the pay. This is the point people usually use to disqualify ID as a career option and fair enough. Yes GI makes triple our salary. Yes you can make more money as a hospitalist without the additional training. But consider, is that extra money really worth it? Is it? Are the endless discharge summaries worth it? Are the 3am diet order pages worth it? Can you make 400k+ as ID? Absolutely. But you will be driving to multiple hospitals per day and seeing 40+ patients. I know IDs who do this. If you want to sacrifice your quality of life because you want more money, you can absolutely do that. But you don’t have to.

2. Reliance on other specialities. As ID we rely heavily on acquisition of specimens i.e. cultures to diagnose an infection and source control i.e. abscess drainage, to treat an infection. Yet we are unable to actually do either of these with our own hands. Thus, we rely heavily on other specialities, i.e. IR, surgery, even neurology for LP. For how under the radar we are, ID is probably one of the most collaborative specialities for this reason. This can be a disadvantage when we don’t see eye to eye with another service. That is, I think an abscess should be drained, but the surgeon doesn’t want to operate. However, I find this disadvantage can be mitigated by developing good relationships with the proceduralists/surgeons at your hospital. Really isn’t much of a con, but I said I would include a few cons so…

And now for some details about what a day in the life of this specialty actually looks like. I graduated in 2021 and these are the stats for my first job:

-Hospital employed
-Work M-F, 45 hours / week
- 7 Weekends / year
- 2 Holidays / year
-8 weeks PTO
-Base salary - 255k

Workload: My mix is about 70% inpatient and 30% outpatient. Some IDs do pure inpatient and others pure outpatient. Most, like myself, do a mix.

Inpatient: 3-4 consults / day. Average census 12-15. Inpatient is where ID shines and the setting most ID’s prefer to practice. See infections that affect every organ system. Endocarditis, orthopedic prosthetic joint infections, brain abscess, tick-borne infections, opportunistic infections in advanced HIV, organ transplant recipients, and other immunocompromised hosts, the occasional case of malaria in a returning traveler. ID has incredible breadth and variety. There’s a reason the longest section of Harrisons is the ID section.

Outpatient: 10-12 PPD. Usually easy hospital follow-ups on OPAT, LTBI, the occasional syphilis couple drama, reassuring people they don’t have Lyme disease, sometimes a delusional parasitosis who slips through our screening.

Average workday:

0700: Wake-up, dress, drive to hospital
0800: Review list, distribute new consults, BS with colleagues
0900-1200: See patients / write notes
1200-1300: Lunch / Meeting
1300-1700: See late consults, coordinate care, finish notes
1700: Go home, gym, dinner, chill

Call: ID call is essentially non-existent. This advantage really cannot be underscored enough. Even when I’m on call I rarely receive any pages. The pages I do receive are addressed with a quick chart check and phone call. There is no driving to the hospital at night to do an emergent cath or scope. I don’t remember the last time I was awoken from sleep while on call.

TLDR; ID is a speciality with good (?great) lifestyle, cerebral work that involves a lot of deep thinking, problem solving, and detective work to make a diagnosis. It has effective therapies that actually gets patients better. There is little to no BS / social / scut work. It’s “pure” medicine. And yes, the rumors are true, the pay is low compared to other specialties.

Again I don’t write this post because I’m trying to convince anyone to go into Infectious Disease. I really could care less if no one wants to do ID (better job market for me) I write it because I really am baffled that more doctors are not going into it. If you enjoy being the doctors doctor, doing differential diagnosis, and actually curing your patients, you would love ID. It’s really not THAT bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
When I was a resident We used to see them rounding into the night time, there are some ideas circulating around between physicians that they have the longest rounds especially in academic centers.
In addition, many of ID attendings get hanged up on the details and demands long tedious notes that almost always don’t change anything in the management and very picky about details. while it’s not the case in some places, in many teaching places it’s accurate. the ID fellowship in many places is very hard and we see that they go through.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ID is probably the most under the radar speciality in medicine. It took a global pandemic for anyone to know we even existed. I’m writing this thread not because I feel some sort of ego shame that my speciality is considered undesirable or non-competitive. People don’t want to go into ID. That’s fine. I know ID is not paid well relevant to other medical specialities. However, even considering that big factor, it still really baffles me why my speciality is as unpopular as the NRMP match data would have you believe it to be.

I hope my post can help people who maybe are considering pursuing ID as a career however are apprehensive due to the match statistics and the pay. I will list some Pros/Cons of the speciality in general then provide a summary of my current job. But first, a story…

Long ago internal medicine used to be all about finding the right diagnosis. It was diagnostic medicine. Then, for some reason, somewhere in the evolution of our healthcare system, internal medicine became the dumping ground. The land of dispo. Internal medicine became the diet order, laxative, med rec, and discharge summary speciality. “We have the best notes in medicine" we tell ourselves. After all, we need something to feel proud of.

I would argue, however that the true spirit of internal medicine still exists today in 2023. However it simply goes by a different name. If you love everything about internal medicine except everything it’s currently known for, I have the speciality for you. Enter, infectious disease.

PROS

1. Pure medicine. As an ID doc, I get the satisfaction of being both a diagnostician and of helping people fix their problem. When I’m consulted, I always try to figure out the diagnosis even if I don’t think it’s an infection. This is because many non-infectious diseases can resemble infections. But also, because it’s fun. I’ve helped diagnosis HLH, sarcoidosis, cancer, you name it. I’m able to really delve into the diagnostic aspect of medicine because there’s no one distracting me for IDT, dispo planning, med rec, signing forms, etc. You get to really focus your cognitive effort on creating a thorough differential and creating a work-up that will get the patient a diagnosis i.e. the job medicine is supposed to do.

2. Effective Treatments. This really is one of the understated advantages about ID. Because of the effectiveness of antibiotics, if you can figure out what infection someone has, you can almost certainly cure it. Most of our patients get better and we never have to see them again. Even HIV patients can be effectively controlled these days because of how potent ART has become. There’s no lifestyle management, begging people to stop eating 3 Big Macs for breakfast, etc. Diagnosis the infection. Determine the right mix of antibiotics. Cure the infection. Return to clinic as needed.

3. Pure consultant. IM is the primary. Trauma surgery is the primary. ID is never the primary. I look through the chart, go see the patient, write my consult note with recs, then leave. There’s no one calling me for placement, patient angry because you DCed the Dilaudid, family members demanding a certain SNF, nurses paging you so that they can document they paged you, etc. There’s no rapid response, no codes, nothing. I write my notes, make some phone calls, coordinate care, and go home.

4. Lifestyle. See my job section below

CONS

I don’t want this post to come across as biased, so I will include a few cons to ID. No speciality is perfect of course…

1. Of course the first con is the pay. This is the point people usually use to disqualify ID as a career option and fair enough. Yes GI makes triple our salary. Yes you can make more money as a hospitalist without the additional training. But consider, is that extra money really worth it? Is it? Are the endless discharge summaries worth it? Are the 3am diet order pages worth it? Can you make 400k+ as ID? Absolutely. But you will be driving to multiple hospitals per day and seeing 40+ patients. I know IDs who do this. If you want to sacrifice your quality of life because you want more money, you can absolutely do that. But you don’t have to.

2. Reliance on other specialities. As ID we rely heavily on acquisition of specimens i.e. cultures to diagnose an infection and source control i.e. abscess drainage, to treat an infection. Yet we are unable to actually do either of these with our own hands. Thus, we rely heavily on other specialities, i.e. IR, surgery, even neurology for LP. For how under the radar we are, ID is probably one of the most collaborative specialities for this reason. This can be a disadvantage when we don’t see eye to eye with another service. That is, I think an abscess should be drained, but the surgeon doesn’t want to operate. However, I find this disadvantage can be mitigated by developing good relationships with the proceduralists/surgeons at your hospital. Really isn’t much of a con, but I said I would include a few cons so…

And now for some details about what a day in the life of this specialty actually looks like. I graduated in 2021 and these are the stats for my first job:

-Hospital employed
-Work M-F, 45 hours / week
- 7 Weekends / year
- 2 Holidays / year
-8 weeks PTO
-Base salary - 255k

Workload: My mix is about 70% inpatient and 30% outpatient. Some IDs do pure inpatient and others pure outpatient. Most, like myself, do a mix.

Inpatient: 3-4 consults / day. Average census 12-15. Inpatient is where ID shines and the setting most ID’s prefer to practice. See infections that affect every organ system. Endocarditis, orthopedic prosthetic joint infections, brain abscess, tick-borne infections, opportunistic infections in advanced HIV, organ transplant recipients, and other immunocompromised hosts, the occasional case of malaria in a returning traveler. ID has incredible breadth and variety. There’s a reason the longest section of Harrisons is the ID section.

Outpatient: 10-12 PPD. Usually easy hospital follow-ups on OPAT, LTBI, the occasional syphilis couple drama, reassuring people they don’t have Lyme disease, sometimes a delusional parasitosis who slips through our screening.

Average workday:

0700: Wake-up, dress, drive to hospital
0800: Review list, distribute new consults, BS with colleagues
0900-1200: See patients / write notes
1200-1300: Lunch / Meeting
1300-1700: See late consults, coordinate care, finish notes
1700: Go home, gym, dinner, chill

Call: ID call is essentially non-existent. This advantage really cannot be underscored enough. Even when I’m on call I rarely receive any pages. The pages I do receive are addressed with a quick chart check and phone call. There is no driving to the hospital at night to do an emergent cath or scope. I don’t remember the last time I was awoken from sleep while on call.

TLDR; ID is a speciality with good (?great) lifestyle, cerebral work that involves a lot of deep thinking, problem solving, and detective work to make a diagnosis. It has effective therapies that actually gets patients better. There is little to no BS / social / scut work. It’s “pure” medicine. And yes, the rumors are true, the pay is low compared to other specialties.

Again I don’t write this post because I’m trying to convince anyone to go into Infectious Disease. I really could care less if no one wants to do ID (better job market for me) I write it because I really am baffled that more doctors are not going into it. If you enjoy being the doctors doctor, doing differential diagnosis, and actually curing your patients, you would love ID. It’s really not THAT bad.
Everything you say here is true of rheumatology, except that we (often) don’t round in the hospital, get paid better, and every other doctor doesn’t think they can do our jobs because they prescribe antibiotics. I also do zero call, and that is great.

I thought about doing ID back as a resident - it came down to rheum, ID and H/O, and I liked ID - but then I realized how crappy the pay was and how little I liked rounding in the hospital. Rheumatology it is!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe more doctors should be like Dr Gregory house and dual specialize in ID + Nephrology. That would indeed be the "smartest doctor in the hospital." it's not like it would be hard to do this either.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe more doctors should be like Dr Gregory house and dual specialize in ID + Nephrology. That would indeed be the "smartest doctor in the hospital." it's not like it would be hard to do this either.
Honestly, the “smartest doctor in the hospital” is the one who shows up every day, applies effort, is thorough, keeps up with the literature etc.

That was what House actually was. Someone who gave a ****, and used his brain. Specialty doesn’t have much to do with it. I’ve seen good and bad examples of almost every type of doctor.

Honestly, the “smartest doctor in the hospital” is the one who shows up every day, applies effort, is thorough, keeps up with the literature etc.

That was what House actually was. Someone who gave a ****, and used his brain. Specialty doesn’t have much to do with it. I’ve seen good and bad examples of almost every type of doctor.
well House was fictional. he broke into houses to get mold and toxin exposure history lol. he also did every test under the sun too for dramatic effect

but i guess the general premise is the same. "carry through all the workup to the end as needed for the hard cases no matter how tedious, laborious, and effort time consuming it might take"

but also don't forget the fundamentals and get a thorough history (even if it means breaking into the homes of patients and reading their secret diaries - no dont do that in real life) and try to minimize such excessive workup in the basic cases

Why is the idea of poor pay so pervasive? The majority of private practice people have high income 400k+

Reactions: 2 users
I went with Endocrine but ID was always my #2 choice!

One thing I disliked about ID was having to look/find a skin infection on the morbidly obese, immobile patient with fever. Sacral wounds make me want to vomit also.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone peds ID in here? Is it worth it
Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

• Haha
Why not? Are you peds ID
No but I have friends/family in Peds. You could ask in the Peds forum. It depends on what “worth it” means to you by financially most Peds subspecialties are not worth the 3 year fellowship.

What are the reasons that you have heard about why its not worth it

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the reasons that you have heard about why its not worth it
Bro, it likely pays less than general peds - which is already one of the most underpaid specialties. Peds and its subspecialties are basically “passion projects” IMO - if you are really passionate about it and don’t need the money for whatever reason (no debt, rich spouse, whatever) - maybe it’s worth doing?

So if you love it and don’t mind being seriously underpaid for your time spent training, go knock yourself out. But nobody is going to argue that it makes sense financially.

Bro, it likely pays less than general peds - which is already one of the most underpaid specialties. Peds and its subspecialties are basically “passion projects” IMO - if you are really passionate about it and don’t need the money for whatever reason (no debt, rich spouse, whatever) - maybe it’s worth doing?

So if you love it and don’t mind being seriously underpaid for your time spent training, go knock yourself out. But nobody is going to argue that it makes sense financially.
Any reason besides pay? The only reason I have heard about why it's not worth it is money which is definitely a huge reason not to do it. But someone has to you know

Any reason besides pay? The only reason I have heard about why it's not worth it is money which is definitely a huge reason not to do it. But someone has to you know
Someone has to clean the sewers out, too, but I don’t want be the person to do that.

Someone has to clean the sewers out, too, but I don’t want be the person to do that.

That's an extremely disrespectful comparison frankly and obviously there are reasons people do still want to do it.

That's an extremely disrespectful comparison frankly and obviously there are reasons people do still want to do it.
Disrespectful to who? They’re both honest jobs that are probably underpaid and few people want to do. I do think it’s sad how little Peds subspecialties get paid considering the pathway for Peds ID is longer than even Adult ID for “reasons.”

If it’s what you want to do go for it but you asked if it is “worth it,” in the wrong forum I might add, and unfortunately a lot of us adult docs would say no it probably isn’t, but we aren’t you.

Disrespectful to who? They’re both honest jobs that are probably underpaid and few people want to do. I do think it’s sad how little Peds subspecialties get paid considering the pathway for Peds ID is longer than even Adult ID for “reasons.”
Disrespectful to both professions really

If it’s what you want to do go for it but you asked if it is “worth it,” in the wrong forum I might add, and unfortunately a lot of us adult docs would say no it probably isn’t, but we aren’t you.
I'm asking an honest question about why peds ID is not worth it, we've established that pay is one of them, I want to know if there is anything else that makes it not worthwhile? There's no peds ID subforum and there is non-dead thread about infectious disease at all on this forum. If you have nothing else to add to that effect then why waste your time replying

Disrespectful to both professions really

I'm asking an honest question about why peds ID is not worth it, we've established that pay is one of them, I want to know if there is anything else that makes it not worthwhile? There's no peds ID subforum and there is non-dead thread about infectious disease at all on this forum. If you have nothing else to add to that effect then why waste your time replying
If you wanna do it and the pay doesn’t bother you, go for it.

The only other downside IMHO is that ID in general chains you to a hospital, and peds ID in particular means that you’re probably chained to a tertiary care center. Some people like that, but a lot of us don’t like dealing with big institutional bureaucracy, politics, and all the silly BS that goes with it.

The only other downside IMHO is that ID in general chains you to a hospital, and peds ID in particular means that you’re probably chained to a tertiary care center. Some people like that, but a lot of us don’t like dealing with big institutional bureaucracy, politics, and all the silly BS that goes with it.

that's also a good point to consider

interesting read,

since u are mostly comparing ID with IM, i want to say that as a hospitalist i don't think we take "call" anymore, its just all shift work, there is no call outside of your shift. this is a double edged sword, when u are on its longer hours, possibly afterhours, but u get long stretches of offdays in between.

as a nocturnist who only does admitting, i am probably the closest thing to being a diagnostician in my specialty, i very rarely need to worry about any dispo stuff, and when it comes to the especially difficult patients im the one dumping them onto the dayshift :D
i basically try to figure out whats wrong and come up with a initial management plan.

i think regarding antibiotics curing infections, what we nonID hospitalists tend to do, or at least me, is error on the side of doing more broad spectrum stuff. they still get cured, but often overtreated. maybe this patient who is continuing to have fevers on rocephin didn't need meropenem and vanc but it was given out of CYA reasons.

regarding IM being the dumping ground, is this really a bad thing? it increases our census with relatively easy patients. ok this guy just had a neck fusion and surgery wants u to be the primary, sure i'll just restart their home norvasc , put them on sliding scale and be done.

or that stable rock on ur service thats a dispo issue, which u only need to spend 10min a day on them. would you rather get rid of these easy patients and have hard ones instead? cuz by god your capitalist employer will keep u at near max census at all times.

regarding IM being the dumping ground, is this really a bad thing? it increases our census with relatively easy patients
Have you ever worked as a rounder? As opposed to admitting only. Just curious.

You're not chained to the hospital. Plenty of outpatient opportunities, including infusion centers

You're not chained to the hospital. Plenty of outpatient opportunities, including infusion centers

The bulk of ID work is inpatient consults…unless you want to be one of these questionable doctors hawking BS infusions to people as cures for long CoVID, Lyme etc.

The bulk of ID work is inpatient consults…unless you want to be one of these questionable doctors hawking BS infusions to people as cures for long CoVID, Lyme etc.
Ever heard of HIV or HepC?

Ever heard of HIV or HepC?
How much demand for true ID is there for that really? I do both of those as an internist and in many places a GI NP is doing all the HCV treatments. It’s not exactly complex stuff these days.

How much demand for true ID is there for that really? I do both of those as an internist and in many places a GI NP is doing all the HCV treatments. It’s not exactly complex stuff these days.
A lot. The number of people for PrEP, HIV and HepC are large. There's also more screening for syphilis now. You can also do OPAT monitoring of infusions. Rheumatologists will also send a lot of people for r/o TB so they can start monoclonal antibodies. Some people do travel clinic as well. If you're set up and have some high volume PCPs sending to you, you should be fine

Complexity has nothing to do with this