Infertility Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pezzang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient gets overweight, shows excessive hair (no tumors) and can't get pregnant. What would be the cause of the presentations (infertility and hirsutism)? Which hormone in menstrual cycle should we test? Any help would be appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad.

If a patient gets overweight, shows excessive hair (no tumors) and can't get pregnant. What would be the cause of the presentations (infertility and hirsutism)? Which hormone in menstrual cycle should we test? Any help would be appreciated!:)

PCOS --- do a pelvic ultrasound and measure blood levels of LH/androgens

pcos.
inc LH
& i remember something about inc chances of berry aneurysm(dunno for sure):oops:
As far as i know no treatment yet...other than wt loss ocp yada..yada

Members don't see this ad :)
pcos.
inc LH
& i remember something about inc chances of berry aneurysm(dunno for sure):oops:

you're confusing it with pckd which has a higher inc of berry aneurysms.

There are actually a good number of treatments. Clomiphene, metformin, and gonadotropins work for infertility. Spironolactone decreases male skin/hair effects like hirsutism and acne. Exercise and weight loss improve insulin resistance and facilitate normal ovulation. Birth control pills decrease male effects as well as restore normal menstruation.

How does the increased LH:FSH disable ovulation? Is it because aromatase is saturated to convert androgen to estrogen so more androgen is left behind causing hirtuism? When inc LH:FSH do you mean increased LH AND decreased FSH? Also how would insulin (weight loss) help gain her period back?

constantly elevated LH levels eliminate the LH surge that results in ovulation. Weight loss isn't going to help with the anovulation. It's to increase her insulin sensitivty.

What about excess hair? is it due to accumulation of excessive androgen not being able to become converted to estrogen?
-How could one distinguish this androgen from ovary and DHEA from adrenal cortex?
-when we take a sample of LH and androgen, how freuqently and when do we take samples?

The pathophysiology of PCOS is very complex and a lot of it is unknown. It is a mixture of hyperinsulinemia, increased testosterone and increased LH. Really, all you got to know are it's clinical presentation and laboratory findings.

So if I am a physician in OB/GYN and a patient with any infertility problems comes in, what is the first critical question that I should ask to determine fertility problem with the patient?

So if I am a physician in OB/GYN and a patient with any infertility problem comes in, what is the first critical question that I should ask to determine fertility problem with the patient?

This is not a joke - make sure they are having sex correctly.

First of all Infertility is diagnosed when pregnancy does not occur after 1 year of unprotected intercourse. I got this info from medscape if you want to read it :http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/520088_4
Tests:
If the cycles are regular :early follicular phase FSH and estradiol levels to determine the FSH/estradiol ratio; measurement of inhibin B or anti-Müllerian hormone levels; or the early follicular phase antral follicle count are options Dynamic tests evaluate the ovaries during clomiphene citrate (CC) challenge or during gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist (GnRHa) or gonadotropin stimulation.
When the cycles are irregular, other hormonal measurements -- such as testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), 17-OH progesterone, cortisol, prolactin (PRL) -- as well as thyroid function tests and dynamic evaluation of pituitary function may be necessary for the infertility work-up. If the results of any of these tests are considered abnormal, conducting imaging studies (eg, MRI, CT, thyroid scan) may be the appropriate step.

The above was from one source, so Im not sure if it represents the general rules. Of course you also want to do a semen analysis in the male and of course make sure they are actually having "intercourse".

PCOS is more a clinical diagnosis than a lab one. You will also have to consider cushing's, metabolic syndrome and thyroid abnormalities. Rx of choice for symptomatic relief is OCP. Obviously this wont help if you are trying to get pregnant.