Inflammatory Bowel Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mammalmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just talked to one of the vets that I work for about my male miniature pinscher who seems to throw up bile once a day. He's three years old and the vet told me that he most likely had inflammatory bowel disease. He suggested to change his diet to hills prescreption diet canine i/d to help relieve the inflammation. I'm not a big fan of hill's because of the ingredients in the dog food. I don't like corn as the number one ingrediant and I certainly don't like the chicken by product meal they put in there. Afterall your dog is eating chicken parts (ie feet and beaks). I was wondering if there is anything you could do holistically, or if there is a human grade dog food that would help. I was thinking about switching him to the Wellness brand lamb and rice formula which has probiotics in it. If anyone has any advice that would be great. I am currently researching on the internet about this disease. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I replied to someone's message on the about.com board about IBD...I think it was for a cat though, but, nonetheless...I have IBD (Crohn's), and as a human, I know to stay away from high amounts of fiber. You could probably call the company to see how much fiber content is in the food. My cat is diabetic and he recently had a bad bout with chronic diarrhea, because his old vet put him on W/d (which has tons of fiber). Taking what I know from my own disease, I found him food that wasn't as high in fiber (canned food usually isn't) and voila...the diarrhea stopped (before this the vet had put him on all kinds of medication, etc.) IBD centers a lot around diet, I think. A good combination of a healthy diet and medication should hopefully help your dog.

--Tracy

mammalmama said:
I just talked to one of the vets that I work for about my male miniature pinscher who seems to throw up bile once a day. He's three years old and the vet told me that he most likely had inflammatory bowel disease. He suggested to change his diet to hills prescreption diet canine i/d to help relieve the inflammation. I'm not a big fan of hill's because of the ingredients in the dog food. I don't like corn as the number one ingrediant and I certainly don't like the chicken by product meal they put in there. Afterall your dog is eating chicken parts (ie feet and beaks). I was wondering if there is anything you could do holistically, or if there is a human grade dog food that would help. I was thinking about switching him to the Wellness brand lamb and rice formula which has probiotics in it. If anyone has any advice that would be great. I am currently researching on the internet about this disease. Thanks in advance for any advice.

My German Shepherd used to throw up bile about 2 times a week when he was on Pro Plan, now it is once every 6 weeks on Nutro Ultra Adult.