Info about IM/EM residency at Univ Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viostorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any information about the EM/IM joint program at University of Maryland? Or just the EM residency?

I have heard alot about Shock-Trauma being a great hospital so I was suprised when the Univ. of Maryland program was not rated by anyone in the "Which is the best EM?" section of the FAQ.

Is any more or less competitive that other EM programs?

Are the Univ of Maryland ER docs involved in trauma care on trauma alerts, et cetera in this program?

Members don't see this ad.

viostorm said:
Can anyone offer any information about the EM/IM joint program at University of Maryland? Or just the EM residency?

I have heard alot about Shock-Trauma being a great hospital so I was suprised when the Univ. of Maryland program was not rated by anyone in the "Which is the best EM?" section of the FAQ.

Are the Univ of Maryland ER docs involved in trauma care on trauma alerts, et cetera in this program?
Do a search for the program. Believe it or not there's another thread that was started recently about it. Look there.

Q

viostorm said:

As Quinn says, there are other UMaryland threads. I don't start there until July, so what I know is from the PD and the current residents. Shock Trauma is a joint endeavor. The trauma teams (there are frequently three on at a time) are typically comprised of a trauma attending, a trauma chief (the senior surgery or EM resident), junior residents, medical students, and other support personnel. The emergency medicine curriculum includes 5-6 months at the Shock Trauma Center over three years. Though it is technically (and physically) separate from the adult emergency department, the emergency medicine residents play a vital role in trauma patient care. EP's also participate in the STC's critical care / trauma fellowship which takes anywhere from 1-2 years. One month of the EM residency is dedicated solely to trauma anesthesia. The ED resident, under an anesthesiologist's supervision, typically completes about 60-80 challenging intubations during their month (or so I am told).This rotation's objective is to make the EP more comfortable with paralytics, fiberoptic intubation, retrograde intubation, and other critical airway skills. Overall management of the trauma code rotates between EM and surgery. While emergency docs aren't blessed with a physically integrated trauma center, their residents tell me that the volume and active participation in all phases of the trauma resus event make the STC an invaluable experience. Of course, current UMaryland residents will speak on this issue with much more authority. The bottom line is that any graduate of the UMaryland program (like most EM residencies) will be proficient at trauma related managment and procedures. I'm in the categorical EM class of 2008 so I don't know much about EM/IM or EM/peds. As far as the 'core components' go, the other thing that might distinguish the EM program at UMaryland is their proposed elimination of the ward medicine month. I don't know if this has been finalized, but there was some discussion during the interview process of substituting a critical care/ICU month for the current junior year medicine rotation.... Hmmmm....

-PuSh
(Go Turps!?!)
How intimidating is a fighting turtle anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
Do a search for the program. Believe it or not there's another thread that was started recently about it. Look there.

Q

Whoops ... sorry!

viostorm said:

Happy to answer any specific questions...

Well, you read it in the FAQ. We are evidently not rated "best EM". Oh well.

I would suppose so.

Trauma is different here.
In the ED rotations, we do not see trauma (though occasionally we'll see a friend dropped off with a knife or gsw).
In our trauma rotations, it's all we do, and we are a member of the trauma surgery team; that is to say, we take turns running each resuc; each one we run becomes our patient. Chest tubes, cracked chests, lines, etc. All procedures except intubation, which we have a dedicated month (which was the best rotation i've ever done --> it was simply tube and go, no patient care at all other than intubation, airway techniques, etc... didn't have to stay around afterward... didn't have to manage drips in the OR, didn't have to do ANYTHING else... and got some very cool tubes, with mandibular gsw, other head gsw, etc etc...)

Trauma is cookbook, and I always find it interesting when applicants focus on this aspect of emergency medicine. If you are TRULY interested in trauma, you should become a surgeon, because the practice of an emergency physician is initial stabilization, pan-scan, and ship off to the OR. In the residency setting, you don't need to see this on a daily basis, in my mind, to feel comfortable with the routine. That's why I'm so much happier with our system, of not having to deal with time-intensive traumas (while your charts are piling up) in our ER.

PimplePopperMD said:
Trauma is different here.
In the ED rotations, we do not see trauma (though occasionally we'll see a friend dropped off with a knife or gsw).
In our trauma rotations, it's all we do, and we are a member of the trauma surgery team; that is to say, we take turns running each resuc; each one we run becomes our patient. Chest tubes, cracked chests, lines, etc. All procedures except intubation, which we have a dedicated month (which was the best rotation i've ever done --> it was simply tube and go, no patient care at all other than intubation, airway techniques, etc... didn't have to stay around afterward... didn't have to manage drips in the OR, didn't have to do ANYTHING else... and got some very cool tubes, with mandibular gsw, other head gsw, etc etc...)

Trauma is cookbook, and I always find it interesting when applicants focus on this aspect of emergency medicine. If you are TRULY interested in trauma, you should become a surgeon, because the practice of an emergency physician is initial stabilization, pan-scan, and ship off to the OR. In the residency setting, you don't need to see this on a daily basis, in my mind, to feel comfortable with the routine. That's why I'm so much happier with our system, of not having to deal with time-intensive traumas (while your charts are piling up) in our ER.
Missed ya 'round these parts, PimplePopperMD... but I knew you'd come to help with the UMD question.

I completely agree with the last paragraph of Pimple's post... after maybe 100-200 trauma resuscitations, it truly does become cookbook and straightforward. It loses its "glamor" and all. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing a really nasty fx/dislocation or GSW or something, but its not what drives me anymore.

Q