info on doing a military residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoiseblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the process on applying to military residency as an IMG US citizen who will have completed a prelim year of residency prior to applying? where do I find the application for the military match (anyone e.g. army, navy, airforce) or for all three. Which one is best to join for residency?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the process on applying to military residency as an IMG US citizen who will have completed a prelim year of residency prior to applying? where do I find the application for the military match (anyone e.g. army, navy, airforce) or for all three. Which one is best to join for residency?

Thanks in advance!

You will need to have completed your internship, your USMLE Part 3 and be licensed somewhere before they put you in the medical corps. Application should be done through a medical corps recruiter. I suppose you could start the preliminaries and get your physical done before finishing internship.

I doubt you will be eligible or a residency immediately; typically those applying from civilian programs are sent for a shore assignment (talking Navy, here) to a clinic for a year before getting a GMO slot. I suppose you could apply to a residency during that time. If you did not do a military internship, you might have a harder time competing with someone who did and who is applying from the field/fleet as a returning GMO.

The Army has the most residency slots.

You will need to have completed your internship, your USMLE Part 3 and be licensed somewhere before they put you in the medical corps. Application should be done through a medical corps recruiter. I suppose you could start the preliminaries and get your physical done before finishing internship.

I doubt you will be eligible or a residency immediately; typically those applying from civilian programs are sent for a shore assignment (talking Navy, here) to a clinic for a year before getting a GMO slot. I suppose you could apply to a residency during that time. If you did not do a military internship, you might have a harder time competing with someone who did and who is applying from the field/fleet as a returning GMO.

The Army has the most residency slots.

Because of the shortages brought on by poor recruiting, the Navy is allowing IMGs who are ECFMG certified and US citizens to apply for Navy internships. If they are found acceptable, they can be offered a spot. They are only guaranteed an internship, but they can apply.