informal or formal appearance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caldwell-Luc

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a strange/unusual question. But I am curious to know how you dress for your appointments. On days that my psychiatrist sees patients only, his attire is informal (jeans and a stripe shirt or a tee shirt and khaki pants). When he is seeing med students, he is more formal. How do you dress?

Members don't see this ad.

you know come to think of it, I never saw a psychiatrist in a white coat. What is your opinion, do you think my doc is too informal?

Members don't see this ad :)
you know come to think of it, I never saw a psychiatrist in a white coat. What is your opinion, do you think my doc is too informal?

I don't think that's to informal my psych doesn't wear a white coat even on inpatient rounds I know some psychs who do. She dresses very formal for most of the workers there usually black pants , heels and a blouse or a skirt or dress in the summertime.

I don't think so. At my residency we usually wear white coats on our consult service (I've found it makes the hospital patients feel less weird about seeing a psychiatrist), and at night (for pockets!). We wear business casual most other times...slacks, khakis, button up shirts usually. But we're one of the more formal programs I think.

I personally love dressing down, but have found it help to maintain a minimal level of professional dress. I find it helps me keep my boundaries. If I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, then I'm back in my old rock band mode and cursing and ****, which can get me in trouble...hahaha.

That being said, I also live in a pretty yuppie town. If I was back at the beach in Florida, I'd probably see patients in board shorts and flip flops (I.e. Business casual)

I started the year (mostly outpatient office based med management and psychotherapy) on the more formal end, with dress shirts and slacks, but experimentally switched to jeans about halfway through. I don't really notice any effect in terms of patient perception. I think affect probably has a much bigger effect than attire (to a point, probably different if jeans or tee shirt).

I have a hunch more casual attire puts as many patients at ease as it makes nervous, as long as you give the impression that you are competent, confident, and professional. If you exude deficits in any of those areas, I could see casual attire amplifying that perception.

I have been in Hawaii for awhile (on leave from school) and really have never seen a psychiatrist in a white coat here or on the mainland. I have also been hospitalized too.

I feel like this would be a fun research project (I'm sure this sort of thing has been done before, too lazy to search). I would be curious to see how dress would influence patient's impression of competence as well as empathy/trustworthiness. Intuitively it seems like someone wearing a really nice suit may appear more competent, but less trustworthy? A white coat maybe more competent and trustworthy, but less empathetic?

Also would be curious how meeting in an office with diplomas everywhere would influence these sort of evaluations.

I've never seen my Psychiatrist when he's lecturing, or talking to Government Admin types, so I can't say how he dresses in those situations, but seeing patients I'd describe his dress as business casual. Usually khakis or slacks, sometimes jeans, but conservative dress jeans, long or short sleeve casual style button up shirt (depending on the weather). To be honest I don't really care, nor do I pay that much attention to the way he dresses. His affect/empathy with me is what I go on. I mean heck I've seen my Psychiatrist shirtless, not like it was a huge shock to me that made me not want to attend my next session (and at this point I should probably point out that coincidentally my husband and my Psych share a common fitness interest and there are photos out there that are more than a little easy to stumble across if you happen to be trying to take an interest yourself).

I have seen this white coat thing go full circle. A long time ago, it was required and Short coats vs long white coats meant something. Now I see only C&L attendings wear them, but none of the other faculty have them where I’m from. A few years ago, coat wearing enjoyed a small resurgence. Residence seem to always wear them or never wear them. In general, the upper classmen wear them less than the more junior residents. I have heard of coat wearing being considered a sign of insecurity, particularly in ambulatory settings. I think psychiatrists overthink this by a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
The whole shebang for me. Dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes. Tie on the outpatient side and bow-tie on the inpatient. White coats only on C/L.

Reactions: 1 user
Some psychiatrists wear suits, others wear khakis and a sweater or button-down shirt without a tie.

In my area (not just local psychs) they don't wear white coats because patients are always dealing with people in uniform. So, to put patients at ease, the white coat remains nonexistent in psychiatry clinics and wards.