Informal post bac then formal???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chimichica

Sweet brutality, of course!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so after reading up it seems like the trend is to do an informal post bac to raise gpa then a formal SMP, especially if you want to go MD. My question is why? If you raise your sGPA to like a 3.2/3.3 why the need to apply to an SMP? Is it for the connections? By now your MCAT should be good and the new gpa is good, assuming the rest of your app is awesome. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

no. do one or the other, not both; most of us do informal as SMP is not a guarantee (it helps but not guaranteed).

You can't raise you BA/BS GPA. It comes through on the AMCAS file as two/three separate fields. Ugrad, Post-Bacc, Masters (or some such thing), BCPM. anything you do beyond bachelor's degree shows up on the PostBacc line

no. do one or the other, not both; most of us do informal as SMP is not a guarantee (it helps but not guaranteed).

You can't raise you BA/BS GPA. It comes through on the AMCAS file as two/three separate fields. Ugrad, Post-Bacc, Masters (or some such thing), BCPM. anything you do beyond bachelor's degree shows up on the PostBacc line
Post bac gpa and hours are listed in a separate line, but they are included in the Cum and BCPM gpa's.

Reactions: 3 users
Post bac gpa and hours are listed in a separate line, but they are included in the Cum and BCPM gpa's.

Thank you - I did not know that.

Reactions: 1 user