Informal Post Bacc vs. Formal Post Bacc Program...

Started by at1kug
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

at1kug

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the pros and cons of each?
I understand advising may be better in a formal program.
Is there anything else? I can't find a lot of info on this subject.
It seems to me that a formal program could create a gunner atmosphere.
I would hate that! I went to law school, and law school is the worst when it comes to gunners.
Also are the grades in formal programs curved?


Thank you in advance!
 
If you are competitive for one of the top formal programs, there are only two reasons to do it yourself:

1) You can do it super cheap at your local 4-year.

2) You have a compelling reason to stay in a very particular location.

In my experience, formal postbacs are actually significantly less gunner. The students come from non-science backgrounds and are (usually) very chilled out, in no small part because they tend to be a bit older and more mature. In a do-it-yourself situation at a large university, you have the stereotypical typical young, narrow-minded cutthroat pre-meds of lore to contend with.