Informal post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need a little advice. I recently graduated this past May with a B.S. in physiology and plan to take the MCAT soon. Depending on my MCAT score, I want to apply to med school this year, but with my cGPA being only 3.1 and sGPA being 3.08, I'm considering doing an informal post bacc to bolster my GPA. I changed my major from computer science to physiology and took all my the pre-reqs and major requirements in two years, hence I take the bios,orgos, gen chems, biochem, advanced physiology classes, pharamocolgy classes, and various other science classes(getting either an A or B in all of them). Therefore, I don't know what classes I would acually take if I did decide to do an informal post bacc. Since it is too late to apply to a special master's program this year, I feel doing an informal post bacc at this point is my only option. Are there other immediately options for me and if during an informal postbacc is a good option what classes should I take?

Members don't see this ad.

Need a little advice. I recently graduated this past May with a B.S. in physiology and plan to take the MCAT soon. Depending on my MCAT score, I want to apply to med school this year, but with my cGPA being only 3.1 and sGPA being 3.08, I'm considering doing an informal post bacc to bolster my GPA. I changed my major from computer science to physiology and took all my the pre-reqs and major requirements in two years, hence I take the bios,orgos, gen chems, biochem, advanced physiology classes, pharamocolgy classes, and various other science classes(getting either an A or B in all of them). Therefore, I don't know what classes I would acually take if I did decide to do an informal post bacc. Since it is too late to apply to a special master's program this year, I feel doing an informal post bacc at this point is my only option. Are there other immediately options for me and if during an informal postbacc is a good option what classes should I take?

See my recent post below yours for details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there other immediately options for me and if during an informal postbacc is a good option what classes should I take?
If you're URM then look for an URM postbac such as WakeForest or Hampton or the UCalif's. There's a list of these in the low GPA program sticky at the top of the forum.

If you're not URM, then go w/rob's advice. Killer MCAT & a good SMP.

Best of luck to you.

Well aren't you the encouraging type. :rolleyes:

Encouraging the OP to save money and time, i think is pretty good
Seconded, and I'm generally against empty encouragement of low GPA candidates. If you're not ready to be a totally different student for multiple years BEFORE you start med school, you shouldn't be doing this, and yes you do have to forever account for your low GPA. More permanent than a tattoo.