Information about Sir William Osler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
William Osler is probably my role model in medicine. Even 100 year later if you can be even 50% like this in a hospital you are good to go!
Im busy reading CMDT and maybe Harrison's cover to cover and dont have time to read books on him. Here are some things I know about him..

1)Known for changing the teaching of medicine from the classroom to the wards. {I think that was the better European method at that time}

2)Known for humor with the "penis captivus"

3)Good in Hematology. President at John Hopkins via University of Pennsylvania. He's actually a Canadian Physician kind of stolen by the U.S... After graduating from Med school his brother gave him gift money to study in the elite European Medical system at that time.

4) Known for the secret transrectal approach for a kidney when denied an autopsy by a family..

5)Other great physicians who published would come to his house. Known as the father of American Medicine..

6)Donated an extensive library..His and his wifes ashes are stored in the Medical library at McGuill..

7)Good with witty quotes- I like quotes..

8)Married late-age42 like MANY doctors..

9)Had some misfortunes like some physicians one child died nearly at birth the the other died in the war.. [But its so hard to fill this guys shoes]

10) But guys, Law2Doc--Did you see how this guy dressed!! Its like Geez, holy sh--, to the tee..

11) Oh yes, Married the patriot Paul Revere's great great grand daughter.

12) His mentors I believe were elite physicians Avicenna and Robert Brown?..

If you can add anything about this icon[his name is still fairly active on the internet] please do...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)