Information needed: SGU question

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by ExtremeUnderdog, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ExtremeUnderdog

ExtremeUnderdog Megalomania Extirpator
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was accepted into the January 2009 class at SGU, and I was supposed to finish graduate school in December 2008. However, there was an issue with one of my seminar classes, so to make a long story short, I will not be getting my diploma from the graduate school until May 2009. I do not have to attend any more classes in my graduate program, I do not even have to be in the same state, it is just some paperwork that needed to be shuffled around.

I called SGU and let them know that I would not be able to send them a copy of my diploma/degree-bearing transcript until May 2009. I also let them know that I will still be able to start classes in January. However, they called me back and told me that they are withdrawing my acceptance for January 2009 and placing me in the pool for August 2009, with the condition that I submit my diploma at the end of May (obviously, I do have a bachelor’s degree already). They told me that I am not guaranteed a spot for August 2009, but things should work out.

I do not know what this means and I am in complete shock (read: mildly freaking out). Does anyone have any experience with this or any information/advice? Thanks in advance.

2. RussianJoo

RussianJoo Useless Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    yep this is SGU's policy. they want you to finish any degree that you sarted before gaining acceptance to SGU. So once you get your diploma from the other school send the transcript or whatever to SGU and you'll be in the Aug class. There is a small chance that you might not get accepted but I think you'll be ok. now if you don't get the diploma from that school then you won't gain admission to SGU. This happens all the time.

3. ExtremeUnderdog

ExtremeUnderdog Megalomania Extirpator
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    RussianJoo, thanks for your reply. It has really eased my mind quite a bit. When you say there is a small chance they might not accept me for August - do you know what could cause that. In other words, is there anything I can do to minimize that small chance?

4. RussianJoo

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think since you've been accepted once before you have nothing really to worry about, but of course since they said you're just reapplying with those applicants that want the aug term, there's a possibility that the people applying to the Aug term are much stronger candidates and that you don't get accepted because of that. but sgu doesn't just look at grades, they saw something that they liked in your application and that's why you were granted acceptance in the first place.

5. theoldone

Non-Student
    Can you guys give me any advice on what to expect at my SGU interview? Is there really a handwritten essay?

Thanks

6. RussianJoo

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    yes there's an essay if you search around you'll find the topics of the essay. it's pretty laid back for the most part, they'll ask you q's about yourself, or maybe ethical issues and ask you if you have any q's. it's not that much different from other med school interviews just might be a little more laid back. do a search on here and on www.valuemd.com and you'll find plenty of info.

7. theoldone

Non-Student
    What's it like living off campus in Grenada? Do you guys feel safe? What about belongings, food, and activities such as exercise? I understand Grenada has its issues but what I'm asking about is everyday life off campus. The SGU brochure shows life in a tropical paradise.

#7 theoldone, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. RussianJoo

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    if you're smart about things you'll be safe. there's crime like anywhere. the island life is slow and can get borring. everything closes early except for bars. there's a gym on campus. if you want more info check out the SGU forum on www.valuemd.com you'll find a lot more info there.