Information on Peds in general.

Started by JustK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JustK

Doc in 2025 or so...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering about Pediatrics in general. Anyone available to comment on current residency and such. Just would like a little information on Pediatric (fill in speciality).

Thanks. Much appreciated.
 
I see your a resident, what do you like most about your job/medical field?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like working with kids. I like having the opportunity to identify and fix issues before they become real problems. Kids are so freakin' honest that I never get tired at work. The pathology you find in kids is amazing, and even with overwhelming odds, kids usually get better. Plus, there's room to specialize for people like me who like sick patients and procedures.

And besides, adults have cooties.

Residency itself is both one of the most amazing things I've ever done and soul-killing. But that's true no matter what specialty you're in.
 
What speciality of Peds are you in? In case your wondering, I'm a highschooler just wondering about the medical field out there and I really like kids, I plan on specializing in Neonatal, but like many have said once your in college you may look at that differently.
 
I'm in residency, which means I rotate through everything. Everything that I rotate through is strictly pediatrics, but I work in neonatology, outpatient clinics, general inpatient hospital work, and every peds subspecialty you can think of (infectious disease, nephrology, cardiology, gastro, developmental). When I finish, I'll likely do a fellowship (3 years of more specialized training, still in pediatrics) in Emergency Medicine. But we'll see.
 
What do you think is the hardest part about Residency? How did you get to where you are today?

*I'm just throwing questions out there, you don't have to answer unless you want too.
 
That's a really hard question to answer. For some people, it's the hours. I just got off a 30-hour shift. For some people, it's being around sick, and often dying kids. For others, it's dealing with family members who make unreasonable demands or have expectations that just aren't realistic given the disease process and/or your resources.

For me, it's the fact that residency takes away from other parts of my life. I don't hike, camp, cook, read, or write nearly as much as I used to. I've lost friends along the way because I didn't make it to a birthday part, wedding, or other event. Peds is nice because depending on what field you choose, you can easily have a life outside of work. An almost normal one at that. But almost without exception, your outside life will be severely limited in residency. It does, however, get better.
 
Thanks for the input. What year of residency are you on? Getting to where your at now, did you enjoy the experience?
 
I did a full intern year in surgery, and then jumped ship and am now finishing up an intern year in peds. I'm pretty excited to be a second-year resident for real this time starting in July.