INFORMATION on what Dr. Collins is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tommyVoltage

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been seeing a lot of questions about what is included in Dr. Collins, how many pages does each update have, is it worth it. I am going to list everything it came with so everyone can just figure it out in one spot and I can update whenever new updates come out. I have a self study guide that included the September update, so I know I have everything.

FOLDERS:
what is contained in each folder

IMPORTANT INFORMATION INCLUDES RECENT UPDATES:
Some warning telling you not to resell the packet
Introduction letter
Stamped envelope and survey of how prepared you were and score
Update request information and contact information
January 2012 update - 4 pages
July 2012 update - 27 pages
Fall 2012 update - 8 pages

READING - allow 50 minutes per exam
Improve your reading tips
6 reading tests

CHEMISTRY STUDY GUIDES
Chemistry Appendix - 4 pages
Inorganic Chemistry - 36 pages
Organic Chemistry - 43 pages

CHEMISTRY PRACTICE TESTS -allow 30 minutes per test
Chemistry answer key
11 chemistry tests

QUANTITATIVE - allow 40 minutes per test
Quantitative study packet - 27 pages
Quantitative answer key
7 quantitative tests

VERBAL - allow 30 minutes per exam
Analogies vocab list - 5 pages just listing vocab and definition
PCAT analogies - 4 pages of the same thing as the vocab list
Sentence completion examples - 2 pages of blank sentence and answer
Verbal answer key
8 verbal tests

BIOLOGY - allow 30 minutes per exam
Biology study packet - 25 pages with the last copyright date listed being 2009 (I see this get asked a lot)
9 biology tests

ESSAY - allow 30 minutes per essay
Essay study packet - 5 pages (3 pages are taken from the PCAT website giving guidelines and about 30 practice essay subjects)


Now you know everything that is included in the PCAT self study guide. It is printed on the cheapest computer paper and stapled together in the corner. It is only printed on one side of the paper, so when I said 25 pages it is really only 25 pages of information and not 50. Is it worth $350 + shipping? In my opinion, no. I think I asked him 3 questions and one question I still don't understand what he is saying. You can only ask questions if you buy it directly from him or have the same name as someone else who bought the guide before. Half the questions in the inorganic chemistry don't explain how to do them. It is a sentence, an example question, and an answer without showing any work. A ton of questions on the biology tests were not in the biology study packet. I would have bought it used if I could have bought it locally and not through PayPal and USPS. I don't know what I would have scored without it, but I didn't even open the organic chemistry packet and I got an 88% in chemistry. My overall GPA after graduating was a 2.71, so you can judge for yourself if that is good or not.

I hope I cleared up some questions that I had before buying it.
Good luck to everyone who is taking the PCAT. I hope you get a good score on the PCAT (after I get into pharmacy school first of course 😎).
 
Last edited:
I have been seeing a lot of questions about what is included in Dr. Collins, how many pages does each update have, is it worth it. I am going to list everything it came with so everyone can just figure it out in one spot and I can update whenever new updates come out. I have a self study guide that included the September update, so I know I have everything.

FOLDERS:
what is contained in each folder

IMPORTANT INFORMATION INCLUDES RECENT UPDATES:
Some warning telling you not to resell the packet
Introduction letter
Stamped envelope and survey of how prepared you were and score
Update request information and contact information
January 2012 update - 4 pages
July 2012 update - 27 pages
Fall 2012 update - 8 pages

READING - allow 50 minutes per exam
Improve your reading tips
6 reading tests

CHEMISTRY STUDY GUIDES
Chemistry Appendix - 4 pages
Inorganic Chemistry - 36 pages
Organic Chemistry - 43 pages

CHEMISTRY PRACTICE TESTS -allow 30 minutes per test
Chemistry answer key
11 chemistry tests

QUANTITATIVE - allow 40 minutes per test
Quantitative study packet - 27 pages
Quantitative answer key
7 quantitative tests

VERBAL - allow 30 minutes per exam
Analogies vocab list - 5 pages just listing vocab and definition
PCAT analogies - 4 pages of the same thing as the vocab list
Sentence completion examples - 2 pages of blank sentence and answer
Verbal answer key
8 verbal tests

BIOLOGY - allow 30 minutes per exam
Biology study packet - 25 pages with the last copyright date listed being 2009 (I see this get asked a lot)
9 biology tests

ESSAY - allow 30 minutes per essay
Essay study packet - 5 pages (3 pages are taken from the PCAT website giving guidelines and about 30 practice essay subjects)


Now you know everything that is included in the PCAT self study guide. It is printed on the cheapest computer paper and stapled together in the corner. It is only printed on one side of the paper, so when I said 25 pages it is really only 25 pages of information and not 50. Is it worth $350 + shipping? In my opinion, no. I think I asked him 3 questions and one question I still don't understand what he is saying. You can only ask questions if you buy it directly from him or have the same name as someone else who bought the guide before. Half the questions in the inorganic chemistry don't explain how to do them. It is a sentence, an example question, and an answer without showing any work. A ton of questions on the biology tests were not in the biology study packet. I would have bought it used if I could have bought it locally and not through PayPal and USPS. I don't know what I would have scored without it, but I didn't even open the organic chemistry packet and I got an 88% in chemistry. My overall GPA after graduating was a 2.71, so you can judge for yourself if that is good or not.

I hope I cleared up some questions that I had before buying it.
Good luck to everyone who is taking the PCAT. I hope you get a good score on the PCAT (after I get into pharmacy school first of course 😎).

So what do you think is the best study guide alternative to Dr. Collins?
 
So what do you think is the best study guide alternative to Dr. Collins?

I think as a reference the McGraw Hill is pretty good with basic bio and chem, kaplan is good but it has a lot of extra info u dont need to know. I think buying the pearson tests are really important because it gives you a good idea of what to expect. i honestly think the dr. collins helped me a lot, but i only paid 100 for it because i bought it used so if u have time before u need to start studying you should try to find it used