Information Please

HelpSide

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
3
0
  1. Pre-Medical
    I just graduated high school and Im currently attending community college. After my two years I plan on transferring to a university. I would like to become a Psychiatrist, but I am not sure of what I am suppose to be taking. What are good universities for my field? And if at all possible can anyone give me any other information they feel would help me? Thanks a lot.
     

    Poety

    Full Member
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Dec 22, 2004
    2,226
    1
    48
    Bible Belt and loving it
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Major in anything that you would enjoy learning about for the next few years. Get great grades, go to med school - and then you can start pursuing research or something in an area you may like; if you have an interest in psych now, you could major in psychology if that fascinates you.


      For now, enjoy your college years and have a great time learning! This will be the ONLY time you have like this again so live it up - don't worry too much about the future just yet ;)
       

      nortomaso

      Senior Member
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Feb 13, 2005
      194
      1
        HelpSide said:
        I just graduated high school and Im currently attending community college. After my two years I plan on transferring to a university. I would like to become a Psychiatrist, but I am not sure of what I am suppose to be taking. What are good universities for my field? And if at all possible can anyone give me any other information they feel would help me? Thanks a lot.

        Good four year colleges will open the door to whatever path you choose to take. Go to the best school for whatever is is you want to major in; just make sure that the are also strong in the sciences that will make up your pre-med requirements and ace those. If becoming a psychiatrist is your ONLY reason for going to med school, and you are not interested in other medical specialties or psychology, then I suggest you get a part-time job as a mental health worker to see up-close what you will be doing and what the patients are like. Then you'll have to decide if you like it enough to endure all the other crap that med school entails. Good luck.
         
        About the Ads

        HelpSide

        New Member
        10+ Year Member
        Nov 30, 2005
        3
        0
        1. Pre-Medical
          Well I just started taken Pyschology classes, but do I need to study anything in particular for Psychiatry. What do I need to get into medical school?Any certain degree? And isnt Psychology and Psychiatry the same thing, just Psychologists cannot prescribe medicine???
           

          OldPsychDoc

          Senior Curmudgeon
          Moderator Emeritus
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Dec 2, 2004
          6,344
          4,197
          59
          Left of Center
          1. Attending Physician
            HelpSide said:
            Well I just started taken Pyschology classes, but do I need to study anything in particular for Psychiatry. What do I need to get into medical school?Any certain degree?

            No nothing in particular. Study what you enjoy--you'll never get another chance like this one! You will need the basic (biology, chemistry, etc.) requirements for medical school admission, however. Read the Pre-Allo forum for more input.

            HelpSide said:
            And isnt Psychology and Psychiatry the same thing, just Psychologists cannot prescribe medicine???

            :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek:
            Not again!!!
            Anasazi!!! Someone!!!! Help me!!! Before it spreads to take over another thread!!! (Frantically trying to throw sandbags into ruptured levee....)
             

            Anasazi23

            Your Digital Ruler
            Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Feb 19, 2003
            3,505
            30
            The innocent shall suffer...big time
            1. Attending Physician
              OldPsychDoc said:
              No nothing in particular. Study what you enjoy--you'll never get another chance like this one! You will need the basic (biology, chemistry, etc.) requirements for medical school admission, however. Read the Pre-Allo forum for more input.



              :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek:
              Not again!!!
              Anasazi!!! Someone!!!! Help me!!! Before it spreads to take over another thread!!! (Frantically trying to throw sandbags into ruptured levee....)

              LOL
              I know.

              Ahem...
              By order of the king:

              I hereby decree that no man or woman shall respond to the latter part of that post that is in any way provocative, cantankerous, disputatious, or otherwise polemical.
               

              Poety

              Full Member
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 22, 2004
              2,226
              1
              48
              Bible Belt and loving it
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                OldPsychDoc said:
                No nothing in particular. Study what you enjoy--you'll never get another chance like this one! You will need the basic (biology, chemistry, etc.) requirements for medical school admission, however. Read the Pre-Allo forum for more input.



                :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek:
                Not again!!!
                Anasazi!!! Someone!!!! Help me!!! Before it spreads to take over another thread!!! (Frantically trying to throw sandbags into ruptured levee....)


                :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

                And Sazi, now you know I'm heading to dictionary.com again don't you? :p
                 
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 15 years old.

                Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.