Information Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpSide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated high school and Im currently attending community college. After my two years I plan on transferring to a university. I would like to become a Psychiatrist, but I am not sure of what I am suppose to be taking. What are good universities for my field? And if at all possible can anyone give me any other information they feel would help me? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Major in anything that you would enjoy learning about for the next few years. Get great grades, go to med school - and then you can start pursuing research or something in an area you may like; if you have an interest in psych now, you could major in psychology if that fascinates you.

For now, enjoy your college years and have a great time learning! This will be the ONLY time you have like this again so live it up - don't worry too much about the future just yet ;)

HelpSide said:
I just graduated high school and Im currently attending community college. After my two years I plan on transferring to a university. I would like to become a Psychiatrist, but I am not sure of what I am suppose to be taking. What are good universities for my field? And if at all possible can anyone give me any other information they feel would help me? Thanks a lot.

Good four year colleges will open the door to whatever path you choose to take. Go to the best school for whatever is is you want to major in; just make sure that the are also strong in the sciences that will make up your pre-med requirements and ace those. If becoming a psychiatrist is your ONLY reason for going to med school, and you are not interested in other medical specialties or psychology, then I suggest you get a part-time job as a mental health worker to see up-close what you will be doing and what the patients are like. Then you'll have to decide if you like it enough to endure all the other crap that med school entails. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just started taken Pyschology classes, but do I need to study anything in particular for Psychiatry. What do I need to get into medical school?Any certain degree? And isnt Psychology and Psychiatry the same thing, just Psychologists cannot prescribe medicine???

HelpSide said:
Well I just started taken Pyschology classes, but do I need to study anything in particular for Psychiatry. What do I need to get into medical school?Any certain degree?

No nothing in particular. Study what you enjoy--you'll never get another chance like this one! You will need the basic (biology, chemistry, etc.) requirements for medical school admission, however. Read the Pre-Allo forum for more input.

HelpSide said:
And isnt Psychology and Psychiatry the same thing, just Psychologists cannot prescribe medicine???

:scared: :eek: :scared: :eek:
Not again!!!
Anasazi!!! Someone!!!! Help me!!! Before it spreads to take over another thread!!! (Frantically trying to throw sandbags into ruptured levee....)

OldPsychDoc said:
No nothing in particular. Study what you enjoy--you'll never get another chance like this one! You will need the basic (biology, chemistry, etc.) requirements for medical school admission, however. Read the Pre-Allo forum for more input.

Not again!!!
Anasazi!!! Someone!!!! Help me!!! Before it spreads to take over another thread!!! (Frantically trying to throw sandbags into ruptured levee....)

LOL
I know.

Ahem...
By order of the king:

I hereby decree that no man or woman shall respond to the latter part of that post that is in any way provocative, cantankerous, disputatious, or otherwise polemical.

OldPsychDoc said:

Not again!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And Sazi, now you know I'm heading to dictionary.com again don't you? :p