Informational Interview with programme director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Messerschmitts

Mythic Dawn acolyte
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow SDNers, I'm doing an away rotation next month at a programme that is one of my top choices, but so far they have yet to offer me an invite to interview (although, to be fair, I suspect they have not yet started inviting). My original plan was just to go there and do the best job I can. However, a friend of mine in med school recommended requesting the programme director for an "informational interview" as a proactive, gunner move to emphasise my interest in the programme and increase my chances for scoring an interview.

It seems like a high-risk, gutsy move to me. Is it a good idea? I'm afraid that it may prematurely f*** up my chances if I don't play it right. What should I do? Should I just ask him/her the same questions I'd ask at an interview? How should I even frame the request for such an interview? Should I just say, "Hello, I'm currently applying to your programme and doing an away rotation here, I'd like a chance to speak to you so that I can learn more about your programme" Or perhaps should I be even more blunt, and say something like, "I would like an opportunity to learn more about your programme, as well as demonstrate my interest in matching here, and have an opportunity to show you how I would contribute to this programme"

Will the director think me impudent? Is the director going to basically ask me interview-type questions if I set this up? ("Why psychiatry, why our programme, etc. etc.")? Will it turn into a de facto interview? Should I be even more gutsy and ask if they would interview me while I am doing their away rotation, since it is near the interview season?

I hope someone who has done something like this can give me some advice on whether and how to proceed with this, and what I can expect. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go and feel out the atmosphere first before you make a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that if they had ANY interest at all in you, this would happen anyway.

I didn't do any away rotations though, so *shrug*

The person you want to talk to is the program COORDINATOR not the PD.
Go in, introduce yourself, and ask politely how the interview scheduling is going. Let them know that you have submitted an application, and were wondering if there was any possibility, as a matter of practicality, that you would be able to schedule an interview while you were still on site. Most likely you will hear "let me check it out and get back to you", and you can follow up appropriately. Make sure they have your local contact information. (You may even hear "Oh you're here--You're on my list to schedule--let's take care of that right now." Don't overestimate the amount of intradepartmental communication about applicants and guest rotatrons...)

I would just make sure to get to know many of the residents and at least a couple attendings while there....and do a good job. Get to know more attendings and residents by going to all the didactics(the ones they let you go to I guess) and conferences and stuff......offer to work a few weekends and come in with the weekend resident...stuff like that. And let people know that you applied there.

If you do all that, they will know that you have an application in and go from there. If you're worried about them just overlooking your application and not granting you an interview as some sort of oversight, I wouldnt really be worried about that.

Was in this exact situation. OldPsychDoc is right as usual.

I just mentioned my interest in the program to residents, told them that I applied but had not gotten an interview. They were encouraging, so I then emailed the coordinator and told her about my conversation with the residents, and the fact that they were encouraging of my plan to contact her, since I was already in town.

Got an interview the next week, which led to a prematch offer.

I did an away rotation at a major univ program. I had told just about everyone that I was interested in interviewing there, and I had even "stopped by" for an informational interview in June. 3/4 way through my rotation, someone asked if I've been interviewed yet, and I explained that my interview is scheduled in Jan, so I guess I'll have to fly back. "What?! Are you Crazy? Call the coordinator right now and explain that you're in town now - working in our dept." They interviewed me within days, and I was able to suggest a few attendings and residents to whom they could direct questions about my skills. In Jan, those folks might not even have remembered me.

So, yes, OPD is right.

Any medical student who shows decent work IMHO is going to be seen favorably by a department. In those cases, where students could be observed for several days, they are now a known quantity. That (at least in my opinion) is far better than even applicants who have very good scores and LORs. I have seen several situations where an applicant had those, yet turned to be a very bad resident due to personality issues that the LOR did not discuss.

So by all means, if you are interested in a program, let that program know.