Innovative ideas for career after completion of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropedsneuro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am progressing through residency I am wondering if I can see myself doing outpatient or inpatient work day in and day out. I'm probably just burnt out from being on call too much at this point but I'm wondering- what unique paths have people heard of psychiatrist taking after graduation? I am thinking of MPH or international. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My program director has a command of statistics that frightens me. He knows more about it than several psychologists who have had much more training in that area. He's aware of the intense mathematical computer applications out there.

He used his knowledge of that area to advance the area of predicting future violence in an individual.

I forgot the individual's name, but he has a master's degree in physics and has done some impressive research on TMS.

In my opinion, if you choose to only work 40 hours a week, you will have time to pursue other intellectual areas in this field without stretching yourself too thin. I think most people do not take a "unique" road because they get caught up in working more to make more $$$, or they get caught up in life (marriage, children, etc).

If you don't want to just do the daily clinical grind, I suggest you do a fellowship or get involved in research. You could also try to think of something unorthodox that utilizes your psychiatric training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that if you can get security clearance and such, the NSA, CIA, secret service and FBI have some good positions working with their employees as an in house psychiatrist for work related depression and ptsd.

I would think the axis IV is a world all its own in those folks.

Definitely not your average psychiatric practice.

The CIA is looking for psychiatrists and psychologists to analyze world leaders, and try to figure out their personalities.

I don't know exactly how evidenced based this is, but hey they're hiring.

The CIA/FBI, state department, and all of the other intriguing looking opportunities, from what I've seen, all require a couple years full-time clinical practice before they'll look at you. Same with most consulting jobs...