Inorganic Chemistry Requirement for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prelapsarian

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, so I transferred to Indiana University this year from Purdue. I had taken Chemistry 115 which is a lecture and lab. When I transferred here, my adviser strongly recommended I take a new online chemistry course. Apparently my chemistry class covered, as she described it, 1.5 semesters. She said I didn't need to take the 5 credit hour lecture + lab that is normally the second chemistry course students at IU take. I am recently pre-med, and she knew this, & here I discover that medical schools require 8 credit hours of general inorganic chemistry? Lecture + lab for both semesters? What confuses me is that for some schools it says "as fulfilled by degree." So here this 2 credit hour 8 week online course fulfills my biology major requirements and yet it doesn't fulfill my pre-med requirements? Is this correct?

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it! I'm going to meet with an adviser ASAP but in the meantime if I could hear from others who have an idea that would be much appreciated! It's hard to believe the adviser would steer me in a direction that wouldn't fulfill my pre-med requirements when she had the knowledge I was pre-med, but it was one of those busy college orientation days where they see many many students, so maybe she made a mistake? And I hadn't looked into it enough :/
 
Lecture + lab for both inorganic semesters. Do not take that online class. It's better to take that 5 credit hour lecture + lab now, rather than regretting 2-3 years later saying, "Well, my pre-requisites are not complete, and I need to squeeze in this gen chem somewhere... Sigh..."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already took the online one last semester. Ah well at least I'm realizing it now even though it's a semester later and I am now in organic chemistry haha. I might just take it this summer, or see how I can fit it in somewhere else. Thanks for the responses!!!