Inova Fairfax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know how competitive this residency is to obtain? It really sounds like a top notch program. Any DMU students been there? Thanks.

Oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

oncogene said:
Do any of you know how competitive this residency is to obtain? It really sounds like a top notch program. Any DMU students been there? Thanks.

Oncogene

I know that they're starting to take 4 residents a year. Ya, DMU students extern there.

It is one of the most competative programs in the country.

Dr. John Steinberg DPM did his residency there and is now part of the plastic surgery derpartment at Georgetown University Hospital. He works on saving diabetic limbs and research in that area.

A friend of mine is doing an externship at INOVA in 2006 and a guy from the 2006 class at NYCPM just did an extern there and he loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
oncogene said:

Oncogene

INOVA is a great program and pretty competitive residency program to get into. You should check out their residency interview and you will understand how competitive this residency program is. Several of my fellow TUSPM grads that are either graduates of the INOVA program or current residents there have informed me that one do get great training at the program. I do recommend interested students to try to extern there so that you can get a better idea of the residency program. The reason is that each student needs to find a program that is the best match for them and would fulfill their training goals. Just because a program is a top notch program, it does not necessarily mean it would be the best program for you. You need to be happy and get the most out of the training at the program. I have several friends from different schools who ended up changing programs after the first year because they were either so miserable at the program or the program was meeting the resident's need. Some of the other prominent podiatric surgical residency programs in the country include Northlake (Tucker). Swedish Medical Center (Seattle), West Penn. These programs along with INOVA consistently get some of the top students from the various podiatry schools. Since this forum seems to be dominated by students or future students of Scholl or DMU, I will quickly comment on TUSPM grad residency placement. TUSPM students have done pretty well in placing them in some of the top 3 year residency programs, including the 4 aforementioned programs. In the past couple of years, TUSPM students have been able to get into residency programs that are traditionally dominated by students from other schools. This includes the Loyola University / DVA Hines program (traditionally dominiated by Scholl students) and Detroit Medical Center program (traditionally dominiated by DMU and Scholl students).

dpmgrad said:
INOVA is a great program and pretty competitive residency program to get into. You should check out their residency interview and you will understand how competitive this residency program is. Several of my fellow TUSPM grads that are either graduates of the INOVA program or current residents there have informed me that one do get great training at the program. I do recommend interested students to try to extern there so that you can get a better idea of the residency program. The reason is that each student needs to find a program that is the best match for them and would fulfill their training goals. Just because a program is a top notch program, it does not necessarily mean it would be the best program for you. You need to be happy and get the most out of the training at the program. I have several friends from different schools who ended up changing programs after the first year because they were either so miserable at the program or the program was meeting the resident's need. Some of the other prominent podiatric surgical residency programs in the country include Northlake (Tucker). Swedish Medical Center (Seattle), West Penn. These programs along with INOVA consistently get some of the top students from the various podiatry schools. Since this forum seems to be dominated by students or future students of Scholl or DMU, I will quickly comment on TUSPM grad residency placement. TUSPM students have done pretty well in placing them in some of the top 3 year residency programs, including the 4 aforementioned programs. In the past couple of years, TUSPM students have been able to get into residency programs that are traditionally dominated by students from other schools. This includes the Loyola University / DVA Hines program (traditionally dominiated by Scholl students) and Detroit Medical Center program (traditionally dominiated by DMU and Scholl students).

How do I check out their residency interview? Thanks.

oncogene

oncogene said:
How do I check out their residency interview? Thanks.

oncogene

The best way to learn more about INOVA's interview is to talk to the 4th year students at your school who interviewed with INOVA Fairfax. Since I know that INOVA Fairfax was at EAST CRIP along with my residency program, interested students should have already finished their interviews with INOVA. EAST CRIP was the first weekend of December.

dpmgrad,

Thanks for your replies.

What kind of stats from pod school need to gain an interview and be competitive for such a program? Also, how many people are applying for each spot in the top residency programs? I am just trying to get a feel for how this stuff works. Thanks.

oncogene

oncogene said:
dpmgrad,

Thanks for your replies.

What kind of stats from pod school need to gain an interview and be competitive for such a program? Also, how many people are applying for each spot in the top residency programs? I am just trying to get a feel for how this stuff works. Thanks.

oncogene
I think for Inova, you have to be in the top 25% of your class.

oncogene said:
dpmgrad,

Thanks for your replies.

oncogene

In general, most of the top residency programs will only consider students that have a minimum of 3.0 GPA and good clinical evaluations from the school. Of course, the applicants for these top residency programs will have a GPA that far exceeds 3.0 and probably rank top 20-25% of the class. For those students who are not 4th year students, each school generates a composite clinical evaluation for different areas of podiatric medicine, podiatric orthopedics, and podiatric surgery and is sent to the residency programs. So, you should do your best in your school and other podiatry rotations. It is also a good idea to have things in your application that would distinguish you from the rest of the applicants. These may include various extracurricular activities, research, publications, work experiences, honor societies and scholarships, etc.... I would highly recommend you extern at these residency programs so that the attendings and residents can get to know you. However, you do need to understand that externing at a program does NOT guarantee a spot at that residency program. As for the number of applicants applying to these programs, it is hard to say because the number of residency position currently exceeds the number of students applying for residency. Despite the low number of applicants, the top residency programs consistently get some of the best students from the various podiatry schools. I am not sure what year are you in school at this time. The applicant pool for residency programs should increase over the next few years as the number of podiatry students increases. Just because the current applicant pool is low, it does not mean that every student will get into a 3 year Podiatric Surgical residency program. In fact, many programs will only rank students that they want. If there are no students that the program liked during the interview, the program would most likely enter into the scramble than be stuck with a student that they are not interested in. If you have any additional questions about the residency process, feel free to ask.