Inpatient billing codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordoctor99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all--at my practice, we tend to get a large number of inpatient consults. A number of times I will go see the patient a few times after their initial consult to assess any changes in their clinical status before treatment, or re-discuss treatment.

Does anybody have any experience billing CPT codes 99231-99233 (subsequent inpatient hospital care) in this setting? My understanding is that once the patient starts treatment, these can no longer be billed and are wrapped up in the OTV charges, but can't get any clarity on visits before that.

The reimbursement isn't much, but it would be great to get something for my time.

Thanks all--

Members don't see this ad.

Only bill the initial 221-223 codes myself as i picked rad onc to not round, but my understanding is that you should be good billing them if the pt is admitted regardless of tx status

This sounds like my practice.

I bill those 99231-99233 codes all the time. Obviously, you need to do a note and document you rounded on the patient, but yes I too often spend time on cases well before their CT sim and that needs to be billed.

Once the patient has a CT sim/complex treatment plan charged then all "rounding" type of notes are bundled into OTV from what I understand. Work done before that should be billed though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all--at my practice, we tend to get a large number of inpatient consults. A number of times I will go see the patient a few times after their initial consult to assess any changes in their clinical status before treatment, or re-discuss treatment.

Does anybody have any experience billing CPT codes 99231-99233 (subsequent inpatient hospital care) in this setting? My understanding is that once the patient starts treatment, these can no longer be billed and are wrapped up in the OTV charges, but can't get any clarity on visits before that.

The reimbursement isn't much, but it would be great to get something for my time.

Thanks all--

I have billed this regularly in a previous practice where I kept a relatively large inpatient service. Non issue, but you are correct you cannot bill once under treatment, even if on treatment break. But absolutely should bill if you consult and help with inpatient workup, which I do regularly.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks all--agreed--not trying to round, but would be great to get reimbursed if the situation calls for it...