Inpatient gig- thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc1401

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you know what NP's can actually do, too. In my state, they are not allowed to admit to a psychiatric unit. It sounds like you would be on call for a lot of things; ED, consults, admissions. What about vacation coverage, or when others take vacation (only one other psychiatrist, are you responsible for the entire unit then?)

It may not be bad, but there seem to be a lot of uncertainties so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Is that 2 docs and 2 np's to cover 36 patients? 1:4 weekends will probably get old after a year or two. You end up working 12 day stretches. But good money.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that 2 docs and 2 np's to cover 36 patients? 1:4 weekends will probably get old after a month or two. You end up working 12 day stretches. But good money.
Fixed that for you.

A lot of the responses so far appear to have some degree of perceptual bias. 300k-400k isn't a lot of money for a psychiatrist these days -- especially this year, especially inpatient with weekend calls.

Make sure you know what NP's can actually do, too. In my state, they are not allowed to admit to a psychiatric unit.
Very important. I did a locums gig on a 16 bed unit, where there was also a PA saw some of the patients. So I went in thinking I would "only" have to see 9-10 patients per day. Which was true, but I didn't find out until I got there that the PA couldn't do admissions, so my 9-10 included all admissions for the day, which, for a 16 bed unit, averaged about 4. So I was doing 4 admission H&P's every day, which might not seem like a lot to people who are doing these 18-patient-a-day inpatient gigs, but it was significantly more work than I thought I was going to have going into it.

A lot of the responses so far appear to have some degree of perceptual bias. 300k-400k isn't a lot of money for a psychiatrist these days -- especially this year, especially inpatient with weekend calls.

There's more? From my neck of the woods 400k is the highest I've heard working a 50 hour week. They pull in a little over 300k/year working 4/10 hours days and then do another 10 hour day averaging 200/hour

Do any of you ever get a recruiter telling you a base salary over the phone and then you get the contract, where the base is 25% less and they then say that you can make that initially quoted salary with rvus?

I'd like more information. To me it seems $400K is possible with some hustle, but totally depends on patient load. For example, my preference is 9-10 patients per day, but it seems most inpatient docs are somehow covering up to 18 patients a day or more. I would definitely expect more than $400K for that workload.

Do any of you ever get a recruiter telling you a base salary over the phone and then you get the contract, where the base is 25% less and they then say that you can make that initially quoted salary with rvus?

So the recruiter lied. I'd walk away and wouldn't work with them again.