Inpatient hospital training

Started by gpb59
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gpb59

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, just began a per diem inpatient position in S. Florida, wondering how many hours of training one consider reasonable before having to work independently assuming there was some but limited inpatient experience, appears the particular company doesn't allocate the resources for much training, thanks.,
 
Hours? Most of our staff pharmacists require a few months full-time to be independent. They observe another pharmacist work for 1-2 shifts. Then they work for another 1-2 days under direct supervision and observation before they work by themselves for a few weeks with pharmacists around to answer any questions that may come up. Rinse and repeat for the different shifts, and it usually takes about 3 months for them to be comfortable with a few shifts and the general pharmacy workflow.

This is under the assumption that they have worked hospital pharmacy before. I would imagine if you were completely new to hospital pharmacy, the learning curve will be a lot steeper.
 
Last edited:
Hours? Most of our staff pharmacists require a few months full-time to be independent. They observe another pharmacist work for 1-2 shifts. Then they work for another 1-2 days under direct supervision and observation before they work by themselves for a few weeks with pharmacists around to answer any questions that may come up. Rinse and repeat for the different shifts, and it usually takes about 3 months for them to be comfortable with a few shifts and the general pharmacy workflow.

This is under the assumption that they have worked hospital pharmacy before. I would imagine if you were completely new to hospital pharmacy, the learning curve will be a lot steeper.

Thank you! I did work hospital before but in the older days with alot less tech and clinical combined. I worked a hand full of shifts over a few weeks, some days only 4-6 hrs, and they believe I should be able to do it all already, which includes learning their computer system which is meditech, review and enter chemo and checking against protocols, entering TPN (not making of checking the product), some Vanco dosing, Heparin new consults and rate adjustments, and then you have the numerous phone calls. Anyway, I've heard this is the way it is all over now due to budgets, but the way you have it is much more logical.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! I did work hospital before but in the older days with alot less tech and clinical combined. I worked a hand full of shifts over a few weeks, some days only 4-6 hrs, and they believe I should be able to do it all already, which includes learning their computer system which is meditech, review and enter chemo and checking against protocols, entering TPN (not making of checking the product), some Vanco dosing, Heparin new consults and rate adjustments, and then you have the numerous phone calls. Anyway, I've heard this is the way it is all over now due to budgets, but the way you have it is much more logical.

Best of luck. what part of south florida are you in right now if I may ask? My friend transitioned from retail to full time night in Orlando and they gave him like 6 weeks of training and he was on his own after that.
 
i'm in Palm beach county , it's an HCA hospital, 6 weeks is not bad of full time time work, alot better than jjust 60 hrs total to fill in per diem,