Input needed: FAQ and Important links

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Below is a potential outline for a FAQ and Important Links sticky.

Please give your input as to what additions would make it more informative, what might be listed that isn't worth putting in, how anything could be phrased/laid out better, etc.

Thank you!

(note: changes to original post are in italics)

FAQ & Important links

Deciding if pharmacy is the career path for you
- What does it take to become a pharmacist?
- How can I get work experience in a pharmacy?
- What practice areas will I be able to choose from if I decide to become a pharmacist?
- Are there jobs in pharmacy?
- How much money do pharmacists make?
- How does pharmacy compare to other medical professions?

Choosing which Pharm.D. Schools to apply to
- What schools offer the Pharm.D.?
- What schools offer 3 year Pharm.D. programs?
- What schools offer 6 year Pharm.D. programs?
- What is the ?best? pharmacy school?
- How much do different schools cost to attend?

Preparing for and performing the pharmacy school application process
- Should I apply to school before finishing my prerequisites?
- What kinds of extracurricular activities will help me become a more competitive applicant?
- Do I need pharmacy work experience before I apply?
- What GPA do I need to be a competitive applicant?
- What is PharmCAS and how does it affect the application process?
- How can I best prepare myself for the PCAT?
- What do I need to know about asking for letters of reference?
- What should I include in my personal statement?
- What can I expect during the interview process?

Issues after admission
- Why do I need more immunizations before starting school?
- What do internships usually pay?
- What is a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and why do I need one?
- How am I going to finance my Pharm.D.?
- Should I consider a residency after graduation?

Important links
-Pharmacy organizations
-Publications
-Blogs
-Top 200 drugs

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great thread, bananaface.

Under the applications process, you might want to add something like "How much pharmacy experience is needed to be admitted?"

About blogs: SDN has set up a site for pharmacy diaries in addition to med student diaries, but they haven't found anybody to write for it yet. If anybody here would like to, go to www.pharmacydiary.com

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a good suggestion, Modnar. :) "Do I need pharmacy work experience before I apply?" has been added.

Nobody is bothering to read the links thread, even though it has alot of useful information. A FAQ/Links thread that is easy to read and use will help eliminate the repeat posts we are getting now. I was talking to Brill yesterday and volunteered to help compile one. I would like to ask LVPharm if he is interested in eventually inserting his links in so we can give him props for assembling that part.

For now this is just an attempt to outline all the info we would like to make public. This particular thread is not meant to have answers or links.

Sorry to be off topic... but why do when need immunizations before we start school?

Because you have the potential to be exposed to various infectious diseases while working in a healthcare field. Without them it would be akin to being caught with your pants down.

Ah... so every health field requires them? Gotcha

Sections I am thinking of adding to the FAQ over winter break:
-How can I get pharmacy experience as a technician or clerk?
-How does the PCAT scoring system work?
-What changes have been made to the PCAT?
-How should I prepare for my interview?
-What do individuals with foreign pharmacy degrees need to do to practice in the US?

Are all of these useful?

Any other topic requests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sections I am thinking of adding to the FAQ over winter break:
-How can I get pharmacy experience as a technician or clerk?
-How does the PCAT scoring system work?
-What changes have been made to the PCAT?
-How should I prepare for my interview?
-What do individuals with foreign pharmacy degrees need to do to practice in the US?

Are all of these useful enough to go in the FAQ?

Any other topic requests?

Those questions sound great, especially the "how the PCAT changed" ones!

bananaface-

how about listing the american college of clinical pharmacy under residency links...they have a nice search/database for fellowships and residencies

accp.com

just a suggestion

-skp

What about a link to a search on
"what are my chances" threads....

i know they occur on every forum i just find them mildly annoying... and find that most people are in the same boat and the same questions are answered over and over...

bbmuffin said:
What about a link to a search on
"what are my chances" threads....

i know they occur on every forum i just find them mildly annoying... and find that most people are in the same boat and the same questions are answered over and over...
The search will expire after awhile. I can link directly to some threads though. I did try and cover the pertinant information on the FAQ. The trouble is that most people making the "what are my chances" threads want a personalized Q&A session. But, we can certainly try adding this to the FAQ. Are there any threads in particular that strike you as useful in heading off these queries?

bananaface said:
The search will expire after awhile. I can link directly to some threads though. I did try and cover the pertinant information on the FAQ. The trouble is that most people making the "what are my chances" threads want a personalized Q&A session. But, we can certainly try adding this to the FAQ. Are there any threads in particular that strike you as useful in heading off these queries?
Yeah i know most people want personalized advice... and every situation is a little different....

i'll look through some of them and get back to you

MCV/VCU, the school I just got into, has joint programs for PharmD/PhD PharmdD/MS and PharmD/MBA. I am not sure how common that is for other pharmacy schools, but if that is frequent you might want to include some information on it.

And a note about pharacydiaries, I will try to sign up to be an author when school starts.

FutureRxGal said:
I'd be more than happy to compile a "What should I do if I don't get in this year?" list for the FAQ. What do you think?

:thumbup: Good idea.

Is there anybody who has taken both the old and new pcat so they can compare and contract?

I think pharmacyweek.com has a better salary survey than salary.com. Salary.com is self-reported whereas the other is reported by human resources.

Also, Pharmacyonesource.com has good drug info with free registration!

~Meg