Input on Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Repdsesstuinas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this question under another thread but didn't get any input so I am posting it under a new thread to try to get some input before I meet with my advisor this week:

I was hoping to get some specific input on what research to include on my CV. In my undergrad I did 3 years of research of material engineering with the Air Force that resulted in one second-author publication and two poster presentations.

Even though this research was during undergrad and it is engineering in nature is it still worth keeping on my CV? It seems like everyone says non-ENT research is of much less significance but listing this work also shows I have done the research process, presented posters and published. Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you put it on your CV - you pretty much indicate anything you've done academically, and often things that are not academic. Several people have put that they were NCAA athletes - sure not related to ENT, but it does demonstrate the ability to work with a team in a (usually) graduated level of responsibility. Research in a non-ENT related field is still research. As long as you can explain what you did and the significance of your research, it is fine to list. I have come across some, who despite listing extensive research, appeared to have no clue as to what it was all about, and could not tell me exactly what they did in the project. Don't be that person.

Yes, ENT research is looked at more highly if the level of research is similar to a non-ENT field. That being said, if someone was third author for an ENT poster at their local, non regional meeting, and someone else was first author on a non-ENT related Science or Nature paper, clearly there is a different level of involvement and intensity.

Don't be afraid to list your accomplishments on your CV - that is what it is for. On the other hand, don't fluff a CV with garbage to make it look like you've done more than you really have.