Input on these Chicago programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fpd1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if anybody had any input on Christ and UIC programs, individually or how they'd compare to one another. I searched the forums and found few chicago peds programs threads but most are at least a few years old and seem to focus on NW and U of C. Any input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My input is old, but I loved Christ when I interviewed there. It was well regarded and they had a lot of specialties and a team that seemed to work well together and a PD that impressed me. Also, there NICU was beloved among the residents, which is not common. (Please bear in mind this is from my interviews from several years ago, as I did residency from 05-08). I didn't rank it as a top program because most of the residents were young and single and I was worried how me, as an older resident with a family already would work. Also, the cost of living was more than the other places I felt I fit better.

You didn't mention Lutheran General, but it's in the same system as Christ, and I did a month there in the pedi ER as a student and it was one of my best months in medical school. I learned a TON. Great attendings. Loved it.

(You asked for ANY input so there you go. hah.)

Hi, was wondering if anybody had any input on Christ and UIC programs, individually or how they'd compare to one another. I searched the forums and found few chicago peds programs threads but most are at least a few years old and seem to focus on NW and U of C. Any input appreciated.
I interviewed at Christ, but not UIC, so I can't compare them but I can tell you that I was very impressed with Christ. The program director and faculty were amazing, incredibly supportive. The medium size of the program made it so every resident was able to know the faculty well and work on research projects if they were interested in doing so. The hospital is pretty busy for the size of the program and they have hospitalist services as well so the residents don't seem overworked but have the opportunity to see a wide variety of pathology. It's in a great location for a diverse amount of patient exposure. It's not as well known as some other chicago programs, but it does seem great.

Regarding UIC, fwiw, I asked my peds attending last summer if there was any peds program in Chicago that she wouldn't recommend applying. She said UIC. She finished her peds residency 8-10 years ago at UIC and felt the program had gone down hill since then. But I know very little directly about UIC, so take this with a grain or two of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at all three of those programs, and they were all great!!! Love Christ, Lutheran General, and UIC equally!

Last edited:
Christ is good, UIC is good, hard to decide between them!!!

Last edited:
I did a second look at Christ bc I was very impressed on my interview day. However after my interview day they dropped down to #5. They have community pediatricians as the attendings. So the residents round on their patients and while rounding the community pediatricians come in to see their patients. You just try to catch the attending to see what the game plan is for the day. The poor resident I was with was getting pulled every which way to try and catch the attendings during the short period they were at the hospital. I did like the table rounds. This was after you dealt with your community pediatricians your team sits down with one attending and talk about the patients. This was strictly teaching to discuss the cases and why certain tests are being ordered. This finishes around 12. It did not seem very efficient. The resident said she is usually finishing up her notes at home every night.

In terms of Illinois programs, when my friends and I were comparing our ROL's with one another and deciding how we will rank, this is how we ranked the Illinois programs (this is not my list----I'm ranking 6 programs, but rather a group consensus)

1) Northwestern
2) U of C
3) Rush
etc etc etc

Last edited:
Of the programs you mentioned, I only interviewed at UIC but I was not impressed and will not be ranking them. My tour guide seemed really annoyed to have to give a tour, all the residents scrambled for lunch before we arrived so there was only rice left of the Chinese food for the interviewees to eat, and several residents flat out said they didn't hang out outside the hospital. They just overall didn't seem happy (and frankly a little rude to eat the applicants lunch when several people had packed lunches but ate our food instead). I wanted a program where residents were friends and looked out for each other, just didn't get that vibe. Oh, and one of my interviewers spent most of the time telling me the bad things about other Chicago programs & barely let me speak. On the plus side, I did really like their PD and dept chair who came and spoke to us. If the other ppl I met there were as great as them it would have changed my opinion. Just overall a very weird vibe.