Insanity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlippinOut

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the August MCAT (August 20th). Going to start studying tomorrow (June 24). Essentially, 8 weeks. I've got summer classes daily for approximately 3-5 hours, and I'm shooting for 3-4 hours/day of MCAT studying. This is the first time I'm taking it, and I'm relying solely on the EK Volume Set.

Any suggestions or CONSTRUCTIVE advice? I bought the EK 5 volume Set, and the EK 16 mini-mcats book. I'm a chemistry major, and I feel somewhat proficient in the area of gen chem and organic chem. Physics and Bio is another story...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Flip,
Some fanatics will tell you that you have to devote your whole life for at least 3-4 months to prepare for this test. I wholeheartedly disagree! That is the ticket to burnout, in my opinion. Just buckle down for the next 8 weeks and make your study time productive. I have a full-time job and so I'm only devoting about 15 hours/week for studying; just making sure I'm very focused during those hours. I'm also using the EK books, which are nice when you're in somewhat of a time-crunch because they are very condensed and concise. I have heard the verbal book is especially helpful. This is a section that many people struggle with because they don't realize how tricky it can be. I would advise you spend some quality time on verbal so you're not in for any surprises. Good luck!

Hey. I think when it comes to studying, learn your material and apply it ASAP! Its the best way to get things to stick fast. After youve got a good grasp on your knowledge, hit those practice passages. The overall mantra from successful MCATers is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! However, dont go overboard and burn yourself out, which is actually very easy to do.

P.S. DO NOT FORGET to review the MCAT topics provided by the AAMC MCAT website. Its a series of pdfs on which topics each section covers. This ensures youve covered your bases.

Jon Davis.

First 4 wks, go over material at least twice. Review, review, review! Do some problems but not many.

Last 4 wks, problems problems, practice exams, prayer!