inservice exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are interns in other programs expected to get a high score on the in-service? Not that I don't want to do well but our chief keeps harping on this every chance he gets and states we will be viewed as idiots and placed on remediation unless we score 75 or better.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your program should encourage you to get the best score you can get (but not bully you into it).

I think whatever score you get after working hard as an intern and going through PEER VII at least once is going to be good enough. I scored 72 in intern year and it was approximately the median for PGY1s from what I could tell of the score report (it'd be nice to be above the median, but I was OK with it). 2nd year I got 82. I think it's good to score as high as you can but also to show that over time you are learning the material. 75 translates to something like high 90s% pass rate on the written boards so there's really no reason that it would mean you're an 'idiot' if you get less than that.

Your program should encourage you to get the best score you can get (but not bully you into it).

I think whatever score you get after working hard as an intern and going through PEER VII at least once is going to be good enough. I scored 72 in intern year and it was approximately the median for PGY1s from what I could tell of the score report (it'd be nice to be above the median, but I was OK with it). 2nd year I got 82. I think it's good to score as high as you can but also to show that over time you are learning the material. 75 translates to something like high 90s% pass rate on the written boards so there's really no reason that it would mean you're an 'idiot' if you get less than that.

It's not that we do not want to score high, it's all the threats that are getting old and being viewed as incompetent for the rest of our tenure with the program. Thanks for the response. I'm using rivers and peer VII