Insider Secrets of Medical Admissions Webinar w/ Case Western SOM Admissions Q&A Follow Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaffeinatedSquirrel

Married into Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you asked a questions at this evening's webinar and we didn't get to it, it will be listed here. Those with answers, please jump in to help out your peers!

1. Do summer courses count for prerequisites?
2. Are voided mcats attempts seen by admissions?
3. Would you recommend speaking of an obstacle that was overcome in the personal statement? I ask because I am aware that some secondary questions ask "What obstacles have you overcome?" Thanks.
4. Is doing masters right after undergrad considered a gap year?
5. Similar to how to document extracurricular activities, how do you document campus/student clubs that you have founded?
6. How would you view an F in organic chemistry (due to the passing of an uncle, was not able to catch up)
7. If you are a student with kids 3 how is that looked at?
8. How do you view economically disadvantaged students?
9. How do students know what out of state medical schools to apply to?
10. If an applicant has a very low Science GPA (ex. 2.5), would a strong post-bac and experiences give the applicant a chance or unless the applicant was particularly exceptional, they would not be very competitive for admission.
11. I was academically dismissed from undergrad school for a couple years, because I wasn't responsible enough at the time when I first started college. During my time away, I attended classes at a community college, and did well, and was reinstated back at my undergraduate school. But, upon being reinstated, my GPA wasn't reset to a fresh start. My gpa was set at where I was when I was dismissed. But, during my time from being reinstated to graduating, I did well in my classes, but my GPA was still not comepetive by med school standard. What are my chances of getting into CASE with a 2.0 GPA, but an above average MCAT score?
12. I am an international student with bachelor's degree from a US institution. I have plenty of medical experience abroad, but not as much from US hospitals. Does international medical experience carry the same weight as US American Experience?
13. Does a PhD in a health related field help to bolster one's med school application?
14. How long (pages) should the resume be?
15. What would you advise to students that have been working for more than 2 years after graduation from BS/BA and their letters of recommendation were obtained prior to graduation (2 sciences, 1 humanities). While those letters can be saved on interfolio, sometime professors cannot be contacted to update their letters. Thank you!
16. If you play sports for fun with friends but not as a team or as part of an organization, can this go in the work/activities?
17. Is speaking a 2nd language something medical schools look for?
18. What graduate programs do you recommend to improve your gpa? More of the sciences, MPH?
19. Can any major (ie. nursing, while simultaneously doing pre-med prereqs) apply for medschool
20. If you take more courses than an undergraudtae degree does the university only look at the highest 20 which contributed to your degree?
21. How do you view withdrawn class that were taken again?

Members don't see this ad.