insight needed for M3 considering EM/IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalls0331

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all. any advice for an M3 considering joint EM/IM programs? ive been interested in EM for a few years now, but after completing EM, IM, and IM sub-specialty rotations, i havent been able to shake the idea of doing the dual training. its not that i couldnt decide. im very much committed to doing EM. it just seems that, from my experiences and perspective, having the additional IM training would only help to make a better EM physician. There's a lot of reasons I feel this way: being able to better treat the people in the ED from underserved areas who have never been to a primary (and probably wont go see a primary after they leave), being able to not only stabilize someone in the short term, but do it in a way that the floor doesnt have to change a bunch of things that i did when the patient gets there (shorter hospital stays, better for the patient etc.) and those are just a few examples.

bottom line: I dont know anyone who has actually done a dual training program and the practicing physicians I've discussed it with usually just say pick one. any insight on whether i should go down this pathway/why you chose to do it? it would be so much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: