Insitutional Action Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user123456123

Reaction score
I had a question regarding if I need to report an institutional action or not. During my freshmen year I was written up for not wearing a mask multiple times in my dorm common area. However, upon meeting with my resident director, 4 of these “accusations” were thrown out due to clear inconsistencies such as me physically drinking water at the time of a write up along with me not being there. However, I do have like 3-4 write ups that were not thrown out. These were really egregious imo. Not only was I written up for not wearing a mask in a room by myself, but I had got written up for not immediately putting a mask on after I finished drinking water and eating. I ended up writing an essay about this, and I had not had a single infraction in the following 2.5 ensuing years.

My question is:

Do I have to report this, I am pretty sure I do?

If so, how screwed am I? I have high stats and I am worried.

I will be asking the conduct office if there is a file about me and any supporting docs.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Find out how this information would be disclosed in a Student Conduct/Dean's Certification letter which SOME SCHOOLS will request from offered candidates as a condition of acceptance. Note you should check which schools on your list require this and how they would look on the citations. FWIW, I surmise it might be minimal impact since enforcement of such rules is arguably arbitrary and/or capricious IMHO.

Here is what the AAMC requires:

Institutional Action: Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

This is part of the primary application so it has nothing to do with policies of individual medical schools. It quite unlikely (imo) that your particular infractions will have much effect on the outcome of your application.

P.S. I don't think egregious means what you think it does. Either that or you are quite effectively sarcastic!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You probably have to disclose this, but it's also probably not going to seriously impact your application. Better to disclose and explain than for it to come out later and look like you were trying to conceal it.

Reactions: 2 users