insomnia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the amazing number of posts occuring on this forum at this hour, I assume you are all either night owls or insomniacs, or just got out from some amazing night on the town. :cool:

Sometimes I am a night owl but right now I am an insomniac. Benadryl helps some, but I need 3 or 4 to put me out, and then I feel funny in the morning. I actually got a prescription for Ambien, which works great, but I only had fourteen and I ran out. :(

Any tips from the path insomniacs? Hopefully I will be :sleep: soon!

Members don't see this ad.

beary said:
Given the amazing number of posts occuring on this forum at this hour, I assume you are all either night owls or insomniacs, or just got out from some amazing night on the town. :cool:

Sometimes I am a night owl but right now I am an insomniac. Benadryl helps some, but I need 3 or 4 to put me out, and then I feel funny in the morning. I actually got a prescription for Ambien, which works great, but I only had fourteen and I ran out. :(

Any tips from the path insomniacs? Hopefully I will be :sleep: soon!
I am always a night owl. I was a night owl in grad school...I would roll into lab around 2 pm and work until the wee hours of the night. And now since I'm a temp postdoc, the same rule applies :laugh:

I am NOT a night owl at all, although I can be if I need to be or if I just happen to have something interesting happening. I generally prefer to go to bed early but if I don't, I can handle late nights pretty well. I don't get insomnia though at night, although I do have a tendency to wake up early no matter what time I go to bed (hence why I generally prefer to go to bed early).

If you are tired, you will sleep. You just have to relax! (easier said than done sometimes) :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
I am NOT a night owl at all, although I can be if I need to be or if I just happen to have something interesting happening. I generally prefer to go to bed early but if I don't, I can handle late nights pretty well. I don't get insomnia though at night, although I do have a tendency to wake up early no matter what time I go to bed (hence why I generally prefer to go to bed early).

If you are tired, you will sleep. You just have to relax! (easier said than done sometimes) :oops:

yaah, relax. hit the sack.

bananaface said:
Exercise good sleep hygeine. :)

Do they not teach this in med school? :confused:

That is great advice. Unfortunately sometimes I am lazy and undisciplined and like to take naps. Also sometimes I am in lab in the middle of the night, and we have 8 am lab meetings, so I can't use Andy's solution of rolling into lab at 2 pm. :eek:

I have been out of med school so long I do not remember if they taught it or not. :D

beary said:
That is great advice. Unfortunately sometimes I am lazy and undisciplined and like to take naps. Also sometimes I am in lab in the middle of the night, and we have 8 am lab meetings, so I can't use Andy's solution of rolling into lab at 2 pm. :eek:

I have been out of med school so long I do not remember if they taught it or not. :D

solution to 9 am lab meeting = all nighter. then go home.

my nickname in grad school = dracula.

p.s. when you're looking at immunofluorescence images when completely hammered drunk, you see some really cool things :D

# gels I've ran while completely pissed drunk = too many. i once told my boss after my thesis defense, "you know, sometimes i do some of my best experiments when i'm drunk." he retorted, "so we should retract all our papers?"

Tonight is Clean Sheet Night, and I really am looking forward to bed.

And I change my sheets regularly, thank you - this is only a minor special occasion!

deschutes said:

And I change my sheets regularly, thank you - this is only a minor special occasion!
lemme guess...every 2 months? truly this is a special occasion.

yaah and deschutes, go to bed. it's way past yer bedtime.

AndyMilonakis said:
lemme guess...every 2 months? truly this is a special occasion.

yaah and deschutes, go to bed. it's way past yer bedtime.

Yeah it is 2am, that is enough for me. Goodnight everyone! Sleep well! :smuggrin:

yaah said:
Yeah it is 2am, that is enough for me. Goodnight everyone! Sleep well! :smuggrin:

Goodnight yaah!! Hope you (and me, and any other insomniacs out there!) sleep well! :sleep:

beary said:
Goodnight yaah!! Hope you (and me, and any other insomniacs out there!) sleep well! :sleep:
Have a good night everyone.

I don't think I'll sleep tonight. I'll probably head to lab to get some stuff done after watching the Lost episodes.

Peace out.

Members don't see this ad :)
beary said:

If your sleep schedule is the problem, 3-4 days of melatonin can help reset your rhythyms. Check your drug interactions, of course.

here are the sleep hygeine hilights:
Getting up at the same time can make a big difference. Don't drink caffeine or alot of fluid late in the day. Don't go to bed until you're ready to sleep (no reading or tv in bed). Avoid naps whenever possible. Don't get up and do stuff in the middle of the night.

a lot of times i feel like i just don't want to sleep. anyone else get like this? I can be so tired, but I will force myself to do something. I just dont like the process of going to bed. Of course, once I'm asleep, I dont like to wake up either.

deschutes said:

That is such a good motivator to go to sleep. I highly reccommend. :thumbup:

It's also not a good idea to listen to the audio stream at www.jungletrain.net into the wee hours...unless you enjoy being an insomniac (like I do).

NS

Just start watching the paid programming. You should be out in no time.

Pookies said:
Just start watching the paid programming. You should be out in no time.

That stuff is brutal. There was one on the other day about a DVD of the so-called "VIP Parties" where they kept saying, "Only the most beautiful people get invited to VIP parties," and "Win a free trip to a VIP party." It sounded really annoying and all these people looked like they were trying way too hard to enjoy themselves. OMG, I was at the VIP party and this girl like took her top off OMG :rolleyes:

Then there's watching those commercials for Girls Gone Wild: Doggy Style (where Snoop takes the camera like a badass and the topless drunk girls flock to him). :rolleyes:

fun8stuff said:
a lot of times i feel like i just don't want to sleep. anyone else get like this? I can be so tired, but I will force myself to do something. I just dont like the process of going to bed. Of course, once I'm asleep, I dont like to wake up either.

Totally. Since I'm essentially a stay-at-home mom, late at night is often the only time I have to myself. I'll come up with the lamest things to do just so I'll have an excuse not to go to bed. The other night, I stayed up till 1:30 organizing our CDs. Our son is going through separation anxiety, so I can't even go to the bathroom alone during the day (thank god we don't remember much before age 3!). I'm more of an early type by nature, though - always get my best work done in the morning.

skoller said:
Totally. Since I'm essentially a stay-at-home mom, late at night is often the only time I have to myself. I'll come up with the lamest things to do just so I'll have an excuse not to go to bed. The other night, I stayed up till 1:30 organizing our CDs. Our son is going through separation anxiety, so I can't even go to the bathroom alone during the day (thank god we don't remember much before age 3!). I'm more of an early type by nature, though - always get my best work done in the morning.

wow, yeah that is how i am... minus the 3 year old and minus the morning person part. i get my best work done at night... but i always come up with dumb stuff to do at night... and i think it is because it is the only time i get to be by myself. I am always with friends, family, or girlfriend during day.

fun8stuff said:
wow, yeah that is how i am... minus the 3 year old and minus the morning person part. i get my best work done at night... but i always come up with dumb stuff to do at night... and i think it is because it is the only time i get to be by myself. I am always with friends, family, or girlfriend during day.

Yea, you should consider freeing up your schedule. Dump your friends, family, or girlfriend. You will be more productive and able to sleep in.

ahh...another night of insomnia. insomnia rocks.

8 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes until we open up envelopes :)

bananaface said:
I had anti-insomnia yesterday. I slept for like 14 hours or something total.

I wish this would happen to me!! I continue to be plagued by insomnia. I have taken your advice and have been getting up at the same time every day and not taking any naps, but so far it is not helping. :(

Goldangit trying to catch up on all these posts about poo and young chicks is going to give me insomnia!

yaah said:
Goldangit trying to catch up on all these posts about poo and young chicks is going to give me insomnia!
welcome to my world. at least LADoc00 isn't giving you smack about your career choice! :mad:

AndyMilonakis said:
welcome to my world. at least LADoc00 isn't giving you smack about your career choice! :mad:

I bet that LADoc is the cause of my insomnia - making me feel all insecure about my future!! :scared:

yaah said:
Crap. I have to send that in. Thanks for reminding me. :oops:
I'm so taking that right when residency starts! I'm buying the books and sending in the forms the day after graduation!