Inspirational reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad Dad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With our families, jobs, extracurriculars, classes, and minimal sleep, I'm sure leisure reading remains pretty low on the totem pole for most of us nontrads. That said, I picked up Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs by Michael Collins today hoping it'll give me a much needed shot of inspiration before spring classes begin. I've already read the following and they were both great reads, especially Learning to Play God.

Learning to Play God - Robert Marion
First, Do No Harm - Lisa Belkin

What books have inspired others out there?

Members don't see this ad.

If you liked Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs you'll also like Michael Collins' other book, Hot Lights, Cold Steel, an autobiographical account of his time in residency.

Another great nontraddy read is Becoming Dr. Q, by Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa. No, it's not QofQuimica's life story, it's an autobiography of a former migrant farm worker who literally jumped the border to get into the US and ended up becoming a neurosurgeon.

Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, by Katrina Ferlik, is another good read on neurosurgery.

Those should keep you busy for a few days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the above

6 months in Sudan. James Maskalyk

My own medicine Geoffrey Kurland

How doctors think. Jerome groopman

On Call: a doctors days and nights in residency. Emily Transue

I really like the doc in the last one. It isn't quite as dramatic as some of the others, but she really seems to capture some important struggles without he overall tone becoming depressing. I like her perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
With our families, jobs, extracurriculars, classes, and minimal sleep, I'm sure leisure reading remains pretty low on the totem pole for most of us nontrads. That said, I picked up Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs by Michael Collins today hoping it'll give me a much needed shot of inspiration before spring classes begin. I've already read the following and they were both great reads, especially Learning to Play God.

Learning to Play God - Robert Marion
First, Do No Harm - Lisa Belkin

What books have inspired others out there?

Trump books. Donald Trump is an extremely positive and motivating person.

Trump books. Donald Trump is an extremely positive and motivating person.

Yes. His unique blend of greed, ego, and hair is what inspired me to go to med school so I could become a doctor.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm really digging Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs so far so Hot Lights, Cold Steel may be next on my list.