Institutional action caught with false ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supsurfer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How big a deal is this?

Members don't see this ad.

You can still get interviews but probably less than if there wasn’t an IA on your record.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are you pretended to be someone you were not to gain access to something you shouldn't have had. In the medical field that's a very bad trait.

If you've ever been caught lying about who you are and/or your credentials, that's a big red flag on any application. Need details to provide feedback on judged severity.

Reactions: 2 users
Chances are you pretended to be someone you were not to gain access to something you shouldn't have had. In the medical field that's a very bad trait.

If you've ever been caught lying about who you are and/or your credentials, that's a big red flag on any application. Need details to provide feedback on judged severity.
Good lord. He probably just made his birth date 3 years earlier. You guys act life OP is an identity thief.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
The question is why did he make his birth date 3 years earlier? On what ID? What was the situation? That's falsifying your birth date, yes, but for what reason?

Dude come on. Why else would a college student fake his age? To adopt a baby?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 36 users
If it was on a federal document, it can be a federal offense.
I’m assuming OP just got caught with a fake trying to get into a bar, which is pretty vanilla and only a misdemeanor.

Reactions: 4 users
Were you caught going into a nuclear power plant or a dive bar?

Assuming you were one of the tens of thousands of college kids that get busted with a fake trying to buy alcohol/get into a bar, I don't think this is a huge deal. This falls somewhere between possession of alcohol and possession of marijuana. And it is nowhere near the level of physical violence to others or a DUI.

(And in my own opinion, possession of alcohol/weed/fake id are all less serious than academic dishonesty, but that is less of an objective take as the above.)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you caught going into a nuclear power plant or a dive bar?

Assuming you were one of the tens of thousands of college kids that get busted with a fake trying to buy alcohol/get into a bar, I don't think this is a huge deal. This falls somewhere between possession of alcohol and possession of marijuana. And it is nowhere near the level of physical violence to others or a DUI.

(And in my own opinion, possession of alcohol/weed/fake id are all less serious than academic dishonesty, but that is less of an objective take as the above.)
In some states, creating a fake ID is a felony so would be more serious than you’re making it out to be. At some schools like UVA, any felony is an automatic rejection

In some states, creating a fake ID is a felony so would be more serious than you’re making it out to be. At some schools like UVA, any felony is an automatic rejection
>99.999% of college kids don’t create their own fake ID. I have never heard of someone being charged with a felony for simply using a fake ID at a bar.

If you had a fake ID that made it appear that you were over 21 years old when you were not and the purpose of that fake ID was to get access to venues or products sold to individuals 21 and older, the adcom is likely to recall that we were young once (and the drinking age was 18 when I was in school) and many of us have kids who may be guilty of the same offenses but never caught, and we will have mercy on you. Of course, YMMV. Don't apply to Loma Linda. ;)

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
If you had a fake ID that made it appear that you were over 21 years old when you were not and the purpose of that fake ID was to get access to venues or products sold to individuals 21 and older, the adcom is likely to recall that we were young once (and the drinking age was 18 when I was in school) and many of us have kids who may be guilty of the same offenses but never caught, and we will have mercy on you. Of course, YMMV. Don't apply to Loma Linda. ;)
Or LUCOM!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Well said. If medical schools only let in people who never drank before 21, never used a fake ID, and never ever used marijuana in an illegal state, they would have a pretty small pool to choose from...or they would be what Loma Linda aspires to be.

If we really want to take a step back, it is hypocritical for us as a society to say that 20 year olds and younger do not have the decision making capabilities to handle alcohol, but then expect them to have the decision making capabilities to not use a fake ID or drink with their friends who all do the same. Like we either recognize that the frontal cortex still has some growing up to do until 25ish or we don't. Maybe a little too meta for what OP needs though :D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully it comes with a good story McLovin. As far as IA's go this is rather mild IMHO

86d3a510-f0cd-11e9-bee3-024113b6c91f

Reactions: 4 users
Situation was using false drivers license to get into bar as a freshman in college.

It depends on the rest of your application

I had far worse and was accepted (reinventing). But, I applied to a huge number of schools and only got three interviews. Had 99%ile MCAT and strong and diverse ECs. To be safe, I'd apply to as many schools as possible.

some ppl on these forums r ridiculous… have a strong application and ull be fine. interviewers/adcoms will joke abt it with u

some ppl on these forums r ridiculous… have a strong application and ull be fine. interviewers/adcoms will joke abt it with u
the 2008 txting style and ur username make ur post xtra funny 2 me

I had far worse and was accepted (reinventing). But, I applied to a huge number of schools and only got three interviews. Had 99%ile MCAT and strong and diverse ECs. To be safe, I'd apply to as many schools as possible.
How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.