Institutional action...have i blown it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervousaboutIA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for the 2016 cycle, i am a hispanic male woth a 27 MCAT and a 3.5 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA. In February 2015 , in my last semester of UG my friends took me out to the bars to celebrate my birthday. as usual my friends purchased me drink after drink and i was quite under the influence. I realized i was unable to drive and asked a buddy the DD to drive me home. while in the car in the parking lot of my university my buddy brought out a jar of marijuana he wanted to smoke. i had never smoked before and in my state of inebriation was curious to try it after my friend hyped it up. he handed me a tissue containing some marijuana and i put it in the cup holder and continued talking. moments later a university police officer rolled up to the car as soon as i saw the officer i grabbed the tissue in a moment of panic. he saw my friend try to hide the jar and from that moment he asked if we had any illegal substances.we both surrendered the contraband. at the end of the night i was told i would have to go through the office of student conduct at my school as i was "charged" with possession of 0.01 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia as my friend had a pipe in his car. I was placed on disciplinary probation and had to complete a drug counseling. at the end of the class i was found to be almost a zero risk of substance abuse. that was the first time in my entire life i have ever had any sort of trouble with the law as i try to be a model citizen at all times. and before anyone gives me the i wouldn't want a drug addict for my doctor, i understand what this does to my application. I am wondering if anyone has gotten to the interview stage and accepted with this type of action. this was a wrong place at the wrong time scenario and i believe i have destroyed my chances. I have sealed my records at the school as well as reconciled with the school and am in good standing. I plan to disclose this information on AMCAS as it asks directly about institutional actions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in good standing and you have something to back that claim up I dont see how you have blown it.

i was caught with an illegal substance its the character hit.

Members don't see this ad :)
this was a wrong place at the wrong time scenario

Uh... what? That's not being in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's making a bad decision when you were wasted. And for the record I'd much rather have a doctor who enjoys a joint once in a while in his home than a doctor who gets hammered, decides to get high in a car with the driver and then claims to be a model citizen. You're a victim of your own decisions, not of circumstance.

Reactions: 2 users
No you haven't. Just don't let it happen again or else you're screwed.

You certainly haven't helped yourself out, but that's not as big a deal as cheating or plagiarizing.

You've got to own up to it, and not pass it off as an accident or something. You used poor judgment and made a serious mistake.

0.01? It probably won't matter, but that is such a small amount

Reactions: 5 users
Uh... what? That's not being in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's making a bad decision when you were wasted. And for the record I'd much rather have a doctor who enjoys a joint once in a while in his home than a doctor who gets hammered, decides to get high in a car with the driver and then claims to be a model citizen. You're a victim of your own decisions, not of circumstance.

Didn't really answer his question.

You certainly haven't helped yourself out, but that's not as big a deal as cheating or plagiarizing.

You've got to own up to it, and not pass it off as an accident or something. You used poor judgment and made a serious mistake.
thanks man this made me feel better

I was pointing out a flaw in your attitude that could lead to more "wrong place at the wrong time" incidents. And 0.01g is basically nothing, that's 10 cents of weed, you'd barely be able to see it in front of your face.

Members don't see this ad :)
dudes just being harsh for no reason. Gotta love the internet flexers

You're the one with an IA for being drunk and holding a joint, so cool it with the big talk.

You made a huge mistake and now have a blemish on your record. You tried to downplay responsibility in the OP and someone called you out on it.

Take your lumps with a little humility.

Reactions: 1 users
A huge mistake? Lol he got caught with a few specks of weed while out partying for his birthday. It sounds like it was resolved with the university and there haven't been any issues prior or since. I don't see the big deal, to be honest.

The only way I see this becoming a big deal is if you don't take full responsibility for being curious and getting caught.

Reactions: 4 users
You're going to need a pretty good list or a good state school either way, stats-wise. You likely won't be the first person who has been charged with possession to apply or perhaps get into medical school. The real police didn't get involved, right?

Should have just swallowed that 0.01 g and called it a day

Reactions: 6 users
2d5oQjx.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
OP, you need to get a better set of friends

The "real" police didn't get involved, right?

Idk about the OP's school, but campus cops at my school have the same authority and standing as the city cops

Idk to me this really is NOT that serious. Not like you got a DUI. People are so judgy haha

A) learn from this
B) keep your nose clean from now on and you'll be fine.

I am currently applying for the 2016 cycle, i am a hispanic male woth a 27 MCAT and a 3.5 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA. In February 2015 , in my last semester of UG my friends took me out to the bars to celebrate my birthday. as usual my friends purchased me drink after drink and i was quite under the influence. I realized i was unable to drive and asked a buddy the DD to drive me home. while in the car in the parking lot of my university my buddy brought out a jar of marijuana he wanted to smoke. i had never smoked before and in my state of inebriation was curious to try it after my friend hyped it up. he handed me a tissue containing some marijuana and i put it in the cup holder and continued talking. moments later a university police officer rolled up to the car as soon as i saw the officer i grabbed the tissue in a moment of panic. he saw my friend try to hide the jar and from that moment he asked if we had any illegal substances.we both surrendered the contraband. at the end of the night i was told i would have to go through the office of student conduct at my school as i was "charged" with possession of 0.01 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia as my friend had a pipe in his car. I was placed on disciplinary probation and had to complete a drug counseling. at the end of the class i was found to be almost a zero risk of substance abuse. that was the first time in my entire life i have ever had any sort of trouble with the law as i try to be a model citizen at all times. and before anyone gives me the i wouldn't want a drug addict for my doctor, i understand what this does to my application. I am wondering if anyone has gotten to the interview stage and accepted with this type of action. this was a wrong place at the wrong time scenario and i believe i have destroyed my chances. I have sealed my records at the school as well as reconciled with the school and am in good standing. I plan to disclose this information on AMCAS as it asks directly about institutional actions.

OP, you need to get a better set of friends

Idk about the OP's school, but campus cops at my school have the same authority and standing as the city cops

you must be the life of the party :rofl:

But don't you know everyone who does weed is lazy and stupid?

it was mariajuwanna? Big deal. Apply to west coast schools they wont care!

You're the one with an IA for being drunk and holding a joint, so cool it with the big talk.

You made a huge mistake and now have a blemish on your record. You tried to downplay responsibility in the OP and someone called you out on it.

Take your lumps with a little humility.

Calm down...

This thread makes me nervous to go to medical school. Hope everyone isn't as judgy as this omg

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I dislike interacting with people while they use weed recreationally. I have been things to do.

Admissions cares as much about this as a speeding ticket. Just own your decision in the same way.

I choose. I learned. I would do differently now.

Personally, I dislike interacting with people while they use weed recreationally. I have been things to do.

Admissions cares as much about this as a speeding ticket. Just own your decision in the same way.

I choose. I learned. I would do differently now.

You're obviously not applying to Vermont!

Am I the only one pissed off that the cop wrote him up for a tenth of a gram? You sound fine OP

That's not 1/10 of a gram, that's 1/100 of a gram, and is very obviously some sort of mistake or misunderstanding on the part of the OP.

Should've just been like what are you talking about officer this is green moon sand

man I have copies of the police report, thats what it says.

That couldn't have been what they caught you with though, because much like a piece of dust you could have brushed it onto the floor and no one, even if they knew what they were looking for, would have found it. I guess if you really aren't exaggerating because this is the internet, the police must have entered an incorrect number. Seems like a huge huge mistake to make when writing up a possession charge, could have ended very differently if they accidentally wrote 10kg

edit: ...also that amount wouldn't get a mouse high

That couldn't have been what they caught you with though, because much like a piece of dust you could have brushed it onto the floor and no one, even if they knew what they were looking for, would have found it. I guess if you really aren't exaggerating because this is the internet, the police must have entered an incorrect number. Seems like a huge huge mistake to make when writing up a possession charge, could have ended very differently if they accidentally wrote 10kg

edit: ...also that amount wouldn't get a mouse high

Scary thought