Institutional Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impressivepumpkin5

Reaction score
Hi all,

My main concern is an academic misconduct incident from Fall 2017. I won't be applying until 2022.

My boyfriend and I were in the same elective online class, and there was weekly assignments due at midnight where we basically summarized our lecture notes into a paragraph and submitted it. I went to class and then right to my shift at work, where I stayed until nearly midnight. When I got home, my boyfriend told me he'd taken my notes and typed them up into a paragraph for me to submit so I wouldn't submit the assignment late. Very stupidly, I agreed and submitted it. We later got an email from the Professor about suspected plagiarism. She asked for a written explanation and for us to meet her during office hours. My boyfriend emailed back and honestly told her what had happened. We met with her during office hours. She said she would consider it as if I hadn't done the assignment and give me a zero (fortunately, I still received an A in the class). She also took pity on us and said that since neither of us had any prior academic record and were truthful and remorseful, that she wouldn't take this any further.

I received no further communication from her on the matter, and no communication whatsoever from the Student Conduct Office. I checked my transcript- nothing. I requested my student misconduct record and there is no mention of this incident. Because I received 0 communication from Student Conduct Office, I am assuming that this means it was never on any record; not that it was removed or expunged. Is this an IA that needs to be disclosed on AMCAS? And if it "technically" isn't, I mean, this is some sort of gray area. Should I still put it on my app? I feel really badly about the whole thing. The incident, while isolated, does reflect my laziness at the time as a student, and I really really don't want nor intend to be dishonest about what kind of student I was.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This faculty member was very merciful and did not take this beyond her own gradebook. Therefore, the institution never took any action -- indeed, the institution never knew that this happened-- it was just between you and the instructor.

Go in peace and remember to be merciful to those who wrong you but who are remorseful.

tl;dr. There was no institutional action and no IA to report.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Email the Dean or whatever official is responsible to triple check if you have any IAs on your record. You don't need to mention to them what IA you're worried about, just if any exist. If they say no, I would not report this on your AMCAS. It sounds like your professor took pity and did not report this to anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

My main concern is an academic misconduct incident from Fall 2017. I won't be applying until 2022.

My boyfriend and I were in the same elective online class, and there was weekly assignments due at midnight where we basically summarized our lecture notes into a paragraph and submitted it. I went to class and then right to my shift at work, where I stayed until nearly midnight. When I got home, my boyfriend told me he'd taken my notes and typed them up into a paragraph for me to submit so I wouldn't submit the assignment late. Very stupidly, I agreed and submitted it. We later got an email from the Professor about suspected plagiarism. She asked for a written explanation and for us to meet her during office hours. My boyfriend emailed back and honestly told her what had happened. We met with her during office hours. She said she would consider it as if I hadn't done the assignment and give me a zero (fortunately, I still received an A in the class). She also took pity on us and said that since neither of us had any prior academic record and were truthful and remorseful, that she wouldn't take this any further.

I received no further communication from her on the matter, and no communication whatsoever from the Student Conduct Office. I checked my transcript- nothing. I requested my student misconduct record and there is no mention of this incident. Because I received 0 communication from Student Conduct Office, I am assuming that this means it was never on any record; not that it was removed or expunged. Is this an IA that needs to be disclosed on AMCAS? And if it "technically" isn't, I mean, this is some sort of gray area. Should I still put it on my app? I feel really badly about the whole thing. The incident, while isolated, does reflect my laziness at the time as a student, and I really really don't want nor intend to be dishonest about what kind of student I was.

Thank you in advance.
I'm not an adcom, but from what you describe you are totally fine. Your prof took pity on you, gave you a zero for the assignment, and apparently took it no further. Taking it no further means there is no IA to report. If I am wrong, hopefully an adcom will chime in. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Email the Dean or whatever official is responsible to triple check if you have any IAs on your record. You don't need to mention to them what IA you're worried about, just if any exist. If they say no, I would not report this on your AMCAS. It sounds like your professor took pity and did not report this to anyone.
I emailed the Student Conduct Office to verify that what they sent me is my whole record. If it counts for anything, I was accepted to a few nursing programs a year after this, so I think if there was any academic IAs to report, someone might've asked me about it during the nursing admissions process. Thank you for your advice!

This faculty member was very merciful and did not take this beyond her own gradebook. Therefore, the institution never took any action -- indeed, the institution never knew that this happened-- it was just between you and the instructor.

Go in peace and remember to be merciful to those whorong you but who are remorseful.

tl;dr. There was no institutional action and no IA to report.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate your perspective.

There is no record, you are in the clear.

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed the Student Conduct Office to verify that what they sent me is my whole record. If it counts for anything, I was accepted to a few nursing programs a year after this, so I think if there was any academic IAs to report, someone might've asked me about it during the nursing admissions process. Thank you for your advice!

Great! As long as you covered your bases you sound good to go. Best of luck!

Hello everyone...

I am in a similar situation as the individual above. I am extremely remorseful about my lack of judgement, but I would appreciate it if i could have some guidance.

I was taking an online quiz for one of my classes in Spring 2019 and, regrettably I had a moment of weakness and looked up from the Internet how to do 2 of the problems.

I turned in the Quiz online and shortly after, I emailed the professor and the TA of the class and told them what I did. This was without their encouragement, and it was my personal choice to disclose my foolishness. I told them where I got help solving the problems from and I told them specifically that I was ready for any punishment they due fit.

They were extremely remorseful in the situation and gave me zeros for the parts of the Quiz I looked up. They never took any further action against me and I was able move past this situation to stay in the class at the professors request.

The professors told me I did the right thing by “turning myself in” and therefore, they were not going to get the University involved. Their exact words were “it is between us and the grade book”. However, this still happened.

A couple of days ago, I contacted my specific schools student conduct office and asked if I had any IA referrals, and they said my record with the school was clean.

I am wondering if this needs to be reported on the AMCAS and / or AMCOMAS applications in the sections about IA.
THE LAST THING I want is to be dishonest in my mistake, however, I also feel if there was no physical referral of an IA or anything on my transcripts, then I should report only what happened and that it did not result in an IA?

Of course, I would have to answer “yes” to the IA question on the application even though I don’t have a physical IA.

I am regretful about the decision and I think about how stupid of a decision it was every single day.

Please offer me guidance on this issue.
@LizzyM ((if possible)).

Hello everyone...

I am in a similar situation as the individual above. I am extremely remorseful about my lack of judgement, but I would appreciate it if i could have some guidance.

I was taking an online quiz for one of my classes in Spring 2019 and, regrettably I had a moment of weakness and looked up from the Internet how to do 2 of the problems.

I turned in the Quiz online and shortly after, I emailed the professor and the TA of the class and told them what I did. This was without their encouragement, and it was my personal choice to disclose my foolishness. I told them where I got help solving the problems from and I told them specifically that I was ready for any punishment they due fit.

They were extremely remorseful in the situation and gave me zeros for the parts of the Quiz I looked up. They never took any further action against me and I was able move past this situation to stay in the class at the professors request.

The professors told me I did the right thing by “turning myself in” and therefore, they were not going to get the University involved. Their exact words were “it is between us and the grade book”. However, this still happened.

A couple of days ago, I contacted my specific schools student conduct office and asked if I had any IA referrals, and they said my record with the school was clean.

I am wondering if this needs to be reported on the AMCAS and / or AMCOMAS applications in the sections about IA.
THE LAST THING I want is to be dishonest in my mistake, however, I also feel if there was no physical referral of an IA or anything on my transcripts, then I should report only what happened and that it did not result in an IA?

Of course, I would have to answer “yes” to the IA question on the application even though I don’t have a physical IA.

I am regretful about the decision and I think about how stupid of a decision it was every single day.

Please offer me guidance on this issue.
@LizzyM ((if possible)).
This wouldn't be an IA. For something to be an IA, the institution has to take some kind of action, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

This wouldn't be an IA. For something to be an IA, the institution has to take some kind of action, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Exactly! The professor was merciful and appreciated your honesty in turning yourself in. You have no Institutional Action to report because your institution was never involved with what was between you and the professor.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Exactly! The professor was merciful and appreciated your honesty in turning yourself in. You have no Institutional Action to report because your institution was never involved with what was between you and the professor.
Thank you for the clarification.
I still feel obligated to report it though because I DID make a huge mistake...and even though there is no physical IA...
It still happened.
I just feel like I would be hiding the instance.

Please let me know if this is something I need to worry about...or if I should “let it go” ((so to speak, kinda...)) and learn to just move past it...

I still feel obligated to report it though because I DID make a huge mistake...and even though there is no physical IA...
It still happened.

Please let me know if this is something I need to worry about...or if I should “let it go” ((so to speak, kinda...)) and learn to just move past it...
Let it go.

Reactions: 2 users
It still happened.
Masochism is not a desirable trait IMHO. If you make mistakes as a physician (and you certainly will as everyone does) are you going to send your patients letter admitting to negligence/civil liability?

Reactions: 3 users
You made a huge mistake, you admitted it, and you were treated in a manner that the professor felt was just. You don not have an Institutional Action. Reporting this as an institutional action when it is not one, would be evidence that you don't know how to critically determine what should or should not be reported. That is not a good look for a person trying to get into medical school.

Let it go.

Unless, of course, you are being forced to apply to medical school and would rather not be admitted. Then go ahead and use this as a sure-fire way not to have that wish come true.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Thank you all for your guidance.
I had to learn in order to be a better person from it.

Let it go.
Goro, I sent you a message but I'll reiterate it here. Where can I find your guide on "Reinvention for Premeds?" Could you post a link to it? Thank you.

Goro, I sent you a message but I'll reiterate it here. Where can I find your guide on "Reinvention for Premeds?" Could you post a link to it? Thank you.