Institutional Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giants25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question regarding this section on AMCAS. My freshmen year of college I had an incident with my chem lab professor. Our last experiment of the semester was a 3 day experiment, with the first two days of actual lab work and the third day was just measuring the precipitate product. I had gotten sick the last week and sent my professor an email ahead of time, but there was no way for me to reschedule the experiment because the semester was over and it took at least 3-5 days. So I just got the recorded weight of the product from my lab partner and finished the lab report and handed it in. My lab teacher accused me of cheating because I had not written down that I got that precipitate weight from my lab partner on the lab itself, and gave me a zero for the assignment. I thought this was crazy since it was worth only about 2% of the total grade and tried to appeal it to our ethics committee. The committee felt that although I made a good point, the teacher still had a right to give me a zero for not reporting I used the data, but they wouldn't mark anything on my transcript, make me retake the class or academic probation, etc.

So although this is not in my transcript record and no probation was given out, the record still exists with the dean of student life.

I'm wondering how I should approach this section of AMCAS, and how to write it. And also how badly will this effect my chances for getting interviews at schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a question regarding this section on AMCAS. My freshmen year of college I had an incident with my chem lab professor. Our last experiment of the semester was a 3 day experiment, with the first two days of actual lab work and the third day was just measuring the precipitate product. I had gotten sick the last week and sent my professor an email ahead of time, but there was no way for me to reschedule the experiment because the semester was over and it took at least 3-5 days. So I just got the recorded weight of the product from my lab partner and finished the lab report and handed it in. My lab teacher accused me of cheating because I had not written down that I got that precipitate weight from my lab partner on the lab itself, and gave me a zero for the assignment. I thought this was crazy since it was worth only about 2% of the total grade and tried to appeal it to our ethics committee. The committee felt that although I made a good point, the teacher still had a right to give me a zero for not reporting I used the data, but they wouldn't mark anything on my transcript, make me retake the class or academic probation, etc.

So although this is not in my transcript record and no probation was given out, the record still exists with the dean of student life.

I'm wondering how I should approach this section of AMCAS, and how to write it. And also how badly will this effect my chances for getting interviews at schools?

Failing you is not IA. You attempted to appeal yourself, correct? The professor didn't report you to the honor committee for investigation? (or equivalent).

Members don't see this ad :)
what about if the school im applying to asks for a dean's certification?

And if i do report this, how heavily will it effect my chances of interviews?

I had an institutional action on my AMCAS, granted it was for an "alcohol bystander" write up which is essentially nothing. My stance on this issue is its better to be honest about something and be up front about it, then for them to find out you didn't tell them something and then you are FOR SURE out of the running, and probably blacklisted from ever applying there again.

If you explain in your AMCAS that you have moved on from the incident and learned a valuable ethical lesson, in my opinon thats better than worrying for 6 months about whether or not they are going to "find out" about your incident that apparently never went on your academic record.

I asked my student life office about my write up, they said it wouldn't go on my official transcript, but they did say that its on the school record. So I would imagine that if you had a hearing with an ethics committee, its on your record somewhere with the University.

I don't mean to spoil everyone elses opinions here, but being honest is very becoming of a future physician, dont hide things. Not to mention I can think of few things worse than having a guilty conscience applying to medical school, especially if its a long time goal of yours!

Oh and I had 3 interviews last cycle, and it didn't come up in a single one of my interviews, nor did it apparently impact my ability to be granted an interview. Applying again this cycle with the same institutional action listed on my app.

Last edited:

The key question is did your professor report you to the dean or any student committee? If NO, then there is no IA.

I just wanted to know because the school I attend for my masters is BU and they require a Dean's Certification.

But I called my Dean of Student Life (who fills out the dean's certification) and asked about everything. She basically told me that if I felt I did something wrong to report it and that it wouldn't be reported on the deans certification but it may be reported if the school inquires about it.

So Im guessing I should take that to mean NOT to report the incident since it is neither reported by the Dean unless the school itself asks specifically about it?