Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An attending asked us this on rounds yesterday..
We have a patient who is admitted for decompensation CHF (not sure can't remember) which is being treated however right now the patient is very "edmatous" as the attending described. The Patient has DM and is currently given Lantus SQ however his blood glucose is not controlled adequately. Its been running in the 200's. The attending said that since the patient was so swollen the insulin is not penetrating his system that well and wanted to know if there were some other insulin options for this patient. I think the obvious answer is to give the pateint Insulin IV, but I wanted to know if I was missing anything. Is there an insulin of choice for an "edematous" patient?
We have a patient who is admitted for decompensation CHF (not sure can't remember) which is being treated however right now the patient is very "edmatous" as the attending described. The Patient has DM and is currently given Lantus SQ however his blood glucose is not controlled adequately. Its been running in the 200's. The attending said that since the patient was so swollen the insulin is not penetrating his system that well and wanted to know if there were some other insulin options for this patient. I think the obvious answer is to give the pateint Insulin IV, but I wanted to know if I was missing anything. Is there an insulin of choice for an "edematous" patient?
