Mar 16, 2020
Status
  1. Optometry Student
I am a new grad and just got my first job! I am hired as an employee at a retail location and I am trying to figure out this whole insurance thing and I am admittedly very naïve. I have my NPI number.

1) Does being an employee mean that insurance is processed through my hiring OD's credentials which is why I don't have to be credentialed at time of hiring? I am confused about the logistics of how this works and an ELI5 explanation would be appreciated.
2) What benefit is there to the employer and myself if I have my own credentials as an employee? (Hiring OD wants me to eventually be credentialed with a couple of companies)
3) I've read that applying for CAHQ is the way to go for easy credentialing - do any of you have experience with this?

Jan 2, 2010
Status
  1. Optometry Student
I am a new grad and just got my first job! I am hired as an employee at a retail location and I am trying to figure out this whole insurance thing and I am admittedly very naïve. I have my NPI number.

1) Does being an employee mean that insurance is processed through my hiring OD's credentials which is why I don't have to be credentialed at time of hiring? I am confused about the logistics of how this works and an ELI5 explanation would be appreciated.
2) What benefit is there to the employer and myself if I have my own credentials as an employee? (Hiring OD wants me to eventually be credentialed with a couple of companies)
3) I've read that applying for CAHQ is the way to go for easy credentialing - do any of you have experience with this?
1) Each provider MUST be credentialed by every plan (only exception is some short-term fill-in work). You'll either get reimbursed as a non-network provider (lower rate), not reimbursed at all, or fraudulently bill under someone else's credentials. For both NPI & tax ID #'s , there is a provider # and a billing # (can be the same if in a sole-proprietor setting)
2) see #1
3) A lot of carriers use CAQH (centralized credentialing service), but others will have their own credentialing. They can be a bear to get completed quickly. Be sure to save everything, because you may be asked to resubmit several times.

In most cases, it makes sense for OD's to form a personal professional corporation (need to apply for a corporate tax ID #).
Each employer will contract with your corporation to provide optometric care for them.
I'd suggest meeting with a good CPA to get set up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads