Insurance premiums for dependents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valid username

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the obvious (checking freida, reading the packet, searching the website, and 3 hrs of trying to find the information independently) what is an acceptable option for finding the premium for dependent coverage?

On one of my programs I have only been able to find out the insurance is through Aetna and that dependent coverage is available if the employee chooses to pay for it. No clarification for shared vs total.

I know that it is forbidden to ask the program for such information. However, I really need to know. This can easily be over $1000/mo.

Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

After the obvious (checking freida, reading the packet, searching the website, and 3 hrs of trying to find the information independently) what is an acceptable option for finding the premium for dependent coverage?

On one of my programs I have only been able to find out the insurance is through Aetna and that dependent coverage is available if the employee chooses to pay for it. No clarification for shared vs total.

I know that it is forbidden to ask the program for such information. However, I really need to know. This can easily be over $1000/mo.

Ideas?

Why in the world would that be a forbidden topic? I provide a fringe benefit sheet so our applicants can know exactly what is and isn't covered. I've always treated it one of the element involved with applicants making their final ROL decisions. The information might be available on the internet--maybe search the institution name plus housestaff fringe benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
Why in the world would that be a forbidden topic? I provide a fringe benefit sheet so our applicants can know exactly what is and isn't covered. I've always treated it one of the element involved with applicants making their final ROL decisions. The information might be available on the internet--maybe search the institution name plus housestaff fringe benefits.

I read that I should never ask about salary or benefits of any kind because it makes the applicant seem greedy and ungrateful for the opportunity to be trained. I already did the search. To get the actual premiums for dependents I need a username/password.

I read that I should never ask about salary or benefits of any kind because it makes the applicant seem greedy and ungrateful for the opportunity to be trained. I already did the search. To get the actual premiums for dependents I need a username/password.

I see two possible options: 1) call the institutional fringe benefits office (you can probably find it through the GME office) and explain that you are a candidate who has interviewed for a position, but don't specify the specialty. Ask about the structure of the offered to housestaff, specifically related to premiums, deductibles, and copays. 2) If you have contact info for the residents you met at that program, email one who has kids and ask about their general experience with the housestaff insurance (i.e., how broad is the network, how long does it take to get an appointment, does it include prescriptions or is that separate, etc.)--then ask for a ballpark figure of the premium/deductible/copay.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks mcl. I will call benefits office. The orogram is probably my #1, but if the premiums are too high it will have to be bumped down some since the COL is at the upper end of what I can manage.

You're in psych, where moonlighting opportunities are talked about loudly and flaunted at many programs as a way for residents to increase their salary. Why would a program care if you ask about their benefits? In your position I would just email the PC and ask for the info. Hell, I don't have dependents and I was planning to email programs in the high COL places if they don't provide this info outright. Another option as mentioned above would be to email a resident you connected with on the interview day and ask what their premiums are, but I've found that many residents don't pay a lot of attention to money that comes out of their paycheck before they get it. It's not like resident salaries and benefits are a secret. We all know what everyone earns at baseline and we can't negotiate. There's no reason to treat salary and benefit info as a state secret.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is completely fine to ask what the cost of health insurance is, it's not like you're asking them for crazy things, most of my interviews provided that in a folder and we didn't have to ask. It will be hidden under a ridiculous HR page in my employee experience if you don't get a page handed to you. It's easiest to ask the residents during interviews who have kids if they have their workplace insurance and if they do if they could give you an estimate of what it costs, especially if they have kids. I have 2 kids and have no problems discussing this with the applicants once I find out they have kids, especially in terms of fsa benefits and the perks offered by our university.

ETA if you spoke with the residents and know if and which of them have kids you could email or text them and ask. (The resident contact information we give out in packets for the applicants, i think it just has our emails on it). I don't think you're going to be negatively judged for asking this question and it will make it seem like you are indeed interested in the program

This kind of information has been pretty freely given at every interview I've been on. I don't think it would be inappropriate to (politely) email and ask for it.